Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang "Berlin Express"

Yellow Nose, Green Nose, Blue Nose, Red tails, Yellow Tails Checkered Nose, etc...

Basically, any Allied aircraft during WW2 that sported any type of Colored or Checkered Noses and/or Tails.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang "Berlin Express"

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:Are you planning to pose the canopy open or closed?
Wanted to close it up. If I wanted to pose the canopy open, it’ll still have fit issues. Nothing was straight no matter what angle I hold it to get a decent fit.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

jeaton01 wrote:It is absolutely amazing that no one has done a good 1/32 B/C Mustang. I don't think the Trumpeter is any better than the Revell if you really want something that looks like a Mustang when you are done. I had some plans to combine some parts of the Revell B with a Hasegawa D to get a better result. If the Hobbycraft Allison poered Mustang weren't so hard top find they would also be a donor for some parts.
You are absolutely right about the 1/32 scale Trumpeter “B” Mustang. There are some quirks and inaccuracies there; but at least you get more detailed cockpit, engine, etc.. than the Revell kit. I’ll bet the fit was better too.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:Are you planning to pose the canopy open or closed?
Wanted to close it up. If I wanted to pose the canopy open, it’ll still have fit issues. Nothing was straight no matter what angle I hold it to get a decent fit.
Well the original canopy is a bit tricky in real life, much like the P-38. Since you’re gonna model it closed you can break it down into stages. First glue the rear scallops into place by themselves. Glue the side panes to the windscreen for proper positioning of alignment and angle. Once those are dried firmly in place, add the top panel.

What sort of glue do you use on clear parts?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I haven't used glue yet. I was test fitting canopy parts. The rear scallops fit just fine when I taped them temporarily. When I went to see how they're going to fit, thats when i noticed the gaps between the scallop side and the side canopy part.

I dare not use Gorilla super glue because it will frost them. I tried Tenax but it dried too fast to place the piece in to set. I do have Plastic Magic 10 second liquid cement (Deluxe Materials), and I have canopy glue.

I'm trying to refrain from using Testors tube glue.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I might suggest something like clear 5 minute epoxy. That will give a super strong hold, won’t fog, dries clear, and gives a few minutes of wiggle time to insure alignment before the part sets.

The last time that I built that kit I must have been 9 or 10, and I could have cared less about any slight gaps that annoy me now. But there has to be a way to do it easy, if I did it at that age. The old Shangri La markings box.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A new day, fresh eyes, and relaxed mind I was able to soldier on with the canopy. Scalloped windshields, sides and top glued on and left to dry for 24 hours before proceeding with the front windshield. So far, so good...
I opt to use Testors tube glue instead.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks like you’ve got a handle on this. :shoutout:

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you, Carlos. Had the house to myself today. Son working his part time job and the missus working on campus. Peace and quiet enough to concentrate. :lashed:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is looking great!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That is awesome! I do hope this doesn't frost later....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Yellow Nose, Green Nose, Blue Nose, Red Tail”