1/48 Tamiya Me-262-Updates-06/15

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
mustang1989

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Me-262- All Set to Go

Post by mustang1989 »

LyleW wrote:Another forum? ANOTHER forum?ANOTHER FORUM? Well, I never! Okay, maybe once, but another forum!
Corrections made Lyle. Sorry bout dat. :whistle:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Stuart wrote:Very cool Joe, and as you're starting on Jan 1st you can also be an unofficial member of our SPAM Tamiya GB. :lashed:
Ya know.....it's been so long since I've been a part of the aircraft section that I didn't see that going on. I'll look into that for sure Stuart. Thanks for the invite pal.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

mustang1989 wrote: Corrections made Lyle. Sorry bout dat. :whistle:
It is okay to mention our little brother.... :bag:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thank you all for the overwhelming support. Just to show that I'm making some progress here I've now got the fuselage cut from sprues, cleaning up the halves and test fitting the interior tomorrow....

mustang1989

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Me-262- Now Moving Forward

Post by mustang1989 »

Ok gang...I've been working on this aircraft all friggin' week now. I've been busy getting rid of the interior detail/ ribbing from the inside of both halves of the fuselage in order to fit the AM pieces in here. After accomplishing that and test fitting it's looking pretty good from about every angle so far.

Details removed:

The interior tub, side panels and rear wall of the gear bay fit well.

I fitted the original rear wall in place to see how high it sat above the fuselage to ensure a proper wing fit to the fuselage. Here's the stock / OOB height:

and the height with the Aires AM piece fitted in. Looks good from here:

So.....I tried my luck with the wing test fit. I think I'm good here:

Stikpusher

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Me-262-Gear Bay Test Fitting

Post by Stikpusher »

All the test fits look good from here.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looking awesome! That's the key with using AM resin no such thing as too much test fitting.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Excellent! Aires makes some of the most detailed resin sets that I know of. And they get a somewhat undeserved bad rap for things not fitting. That has not been the case in my experience. All resin has the potential for shrinkage and warping and I've experienced that to a certain degree with all of the resin manufacturers I've tried with the exception of Henri Daehne's superb castings. The 1/48 wheel wells for the 262 look to be a downscaled version of their 1/32 set, which I've used and should be a great upgrade from what the kit provides. One of the things that Aires did not provide was the wiring bundle that goes from the four junction boxes on the starboard side of the "tube" to the sidewalls, if you are inclined to add some detail.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Carlos and Clint!!

Thank you as well John for the comments and the reference. I'm going to see what I can do to replicate that harness. Looks like the electrical/ bulkhead connectors are molded into the resin pieces but no harness.

Splitting the time up with my truck these days. I just got through replacing the 3.90 gearset with set of 4.10's in the differential. You wouldn't think there'd be that much difference between the two gear ratios but lemme tell ya.....it made ALL the difference. It's just what the thing needed. I had shelled my Powertrax locker / positrac unit out as well so I went in with a warrantied part. Thank GOD they warrantied it after the warranty period was up. :whistle:

Fuel mileage didn't suffer much. Went from 14 mpg to around 12-13 which aint bad for what's in the truck. RPM's at 60mph with my 4L60 4spd overdrive tranny are around 2000 so it's not as bad as it could be. I've got a buddy whos got a 66 Chevelle with a 700+ hp 454 that's running a 3 spd Turbo 400 transmission with 4.11 gears and he's running around 3000 rpm at 55 mph. Car just aint driveable.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

3000 rpm at 55mph... something there does not sound right... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”