1:48 P-51B “Spare Parts” (Tamiya Kit)

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KennyX
Elite Member

Re: 1:48 P-51B “Spare Parts” (Tamiya Kit)

Post by KennyX »

...and I think the reason why it was a bad idea for me, is due to the fact that I have become very accustomed to painting in a certain way. I do light, thin, mottled coats, layer by layer, and then blended together.

This method doesn’t seem to jibe with what I think of when I look at shooting bare metal finishes. To me, that necessitates doing several even, misting coats over a clean surface in the case of High Speed Silver, or Glossy Black in the case of Aluminum and stuff.

It is very hard for me to break out of my “mottling” comfort zone to try and think about painting bare metal like that, as is proven here. Obviously I went about thinking about it wrong.

Man oh man. So many projects. So many kicks right in the balls. Even when I try to focus on one.

I’m gonna go skate.

:whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Give it a few days, Kenny. I do metal coats in thin dry layers, but it has to be over a smooth and uniform finish. I don't worry as much about the smooth as much as others do, but I'm careful to avoid the wet look when spraying.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

J,

Thanks. And that’s the issue- it’s the surface. I think what happened was, during the course of sanding down and smoothing out the putty I put irregularities in the surface. So when the light hits the “metal”, the irregularities are reflecting the light differently than the rest of the surface is.

Sucks. I sanded and smoothed those surfaces as mindfully and as carefully as I could.

I get way, WAY too ambitious with this stuff I think.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

From the appearance of the paint surface it looks like nothing that you did Kenny, but silicone contamination. Have you used the paint previously? Either way sorry that this happened
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I can see the irregularities at the black stage that are being reflected in your metal finish. It looks like it would be fairly easy to address. Micromesh the uneven areas and use a gloss black base instead of a flat.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Bare metal is its own beast to master and by looking at it you did the steps right. The Do335 I'm working on right now I wet sanded from 2000 to 12000 then wiped down the surface with a wet rag to make sure all contamination from the sanding process was gone. I also went with a flat black approach since I wanted to depict a dusty metal surface indoors and not a bright shine of a aircraft sitting outside.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Handiabled wrote:From the appearance of the paint surface it looks like nothing that you did Kenny, but silicone contamination. Have you used the paint previously? Either way sorry that this happened

Nosir, first go with this particular bottle.

I thought I’d rinsed off the surface well enough after wet sanding the filled seams, but maybe that felt something on the plastic? It’s certainly possible.

Anyway, thank you. And thanks to the rest of you guys too.
Kenny X
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Kenny. Look into getting some markings that are camouflaged. Paint over the hiccup with OD neutral grey or whatever. Be a Shame to shelve the great work you did on construction
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Knock back the NMF a bit and get yourself some RAF paints...

Just saying... :lashed:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Stuart,

Thanks pal! It’ll either be that or Miss Dallas, I can’t figure out which.

I got a lotta sanding and cleaning up to do I’ll tell ya that! Better get started too. It’s a long walk home.
Kenny X

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”