Black CA glue

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Black CA glue

Post by jkim »

Black CA glue is just another tool in the box. I still use regular CA too. But I like Black CA as a filler material over regular CA because it's a little softer and easier to cut into with sandpaper than regular CA. But hard enough to be able to feather seamlessly without using liquid putty. An example of this was on my D3A1 build... I wanted to fill in the rivets and recessed furrows that the rivet rows resided in.

I used black CA to fill in the rivet rows.

The black color gives a good indication of your work progress.

The CA was sanded down using #400 and then #600 sandpaper. Then I went straight to a primer coat. The black CA sands down nice and smooth.

Another trick you can use with CA glue is to use debonder to clean excess CA glue from a filled joint. After filling the joint on my Ki-61 with black CA, I used a cotton bud moistened with CA debonder and swiped away the excess glue, leaving a much flatter joint. It's not perfectly flat and needs some putty to finish it off but it saves alot of time and surrounding detail by minimizing the sanding needed.

I use BSI Black CA glue and Great Planes Pro Debonder and I can vouch that both of these play nice with styrene plastic. Beware of the AK black stuff... I have heard that its stringy like old Testors glue. And the first debonder I used was Zap and it was junk... didn't work well at all.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Black CA glue

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Now I know what brand to look for. Good to hear to avoid the AK brand.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Modeling Discussion”