Spraying Vallejo paints?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Spraying Vallejo paints?

Post by Gary Brantley »

I got questions. :grin: The model that I'm currently working on has three colors (colours :wink: ) that I can get from the Vallejo line. I've only used the brand for some weathering and figure painting and I'm wondering if there are any tips or suggestions available here for spraying? I thinned it with distilled water for my uses, but does that work for spraying too? I'll be using my Paasche H if possible, a single-action, gravity-feed AB, do I need some special instructions for spraying the Vallejo through that? So many questions as I sail into uncharted waters, using acrylic paints, a very new medium for me.

And additional aside, what paint are you using in place of the gone and much lamented ModelMaster aircraft interior black? I have a little that has started its decline into a gel-state and uselessness. I need something similar, if it's available. Thanks for any guidance, my friends!
Tojo72
Master Member

Re: Spraying Vallejo paints?

Post by Tojo72 »

Which line are you using,Model Color or Model Air.I spray Model Color successfully with their own thinner and Flow Improver with a 10-2-2 ratio.
Model Air I haven't used a lot
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Tony, two colors are their Color line and one is ModelAir. I have never airbrushed an entire model with acrylic paint before. Kinda nervous about it really. I assume the surface should be primed first, right? That's a step I've not needed with enamels.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Aircraft Interior Black is a fancy name for Flat Black. Both have the exact FS#.

As far as Vallejo goes, I couldn't give you advice except Model Air is the Vallejo that can be airbrushed. What to thin with, I have no idea.

I do know it gives off sort of a rubbery feel when dry.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 pm Aircraft Interior Black is a fancy name for Flat Black. Both have the exact FS#.

I didn't know that about the FS number. It sure seems like MM interior looks a lil' different than my Testors 1/4oz flat black. Interesting.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I still have a bottle of Aircraft Interior Black. Sometimes I'll use MM Flat Black only when I'm too lazy to find it in my acrylics stash. :bag: :whistle: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 pm Aircraft Interior Black is a fancy name for Flat Black. Both have the exact FS#.

As far as Vallejo goes, I couldn't give you advice except Model Air is the Vallejo that can be airbrushed. What to thin with, I have no idea.

I do know it gives off sort of a rubbery feel when dry.
that's a Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full. Flat Blacks FS 37038 and Aircraft Interior Black is FS 37031. Not quite the same shades... and for those wondering about NATO Black, that one is FS 37030, again a different shade.

Getting back to airbrushing Vallejo, I haven't tried airbrushing Model Color, but I have used Model Air several times. I'd say run with Tony's suggestion of additives and ratios. Model Air airbrushes perfectly fine from the bottle as is in my experience.

In any case, what I have found with using Vallejo is that primer is a must. Vallejo has weak adhesion properties, and will wear off during the narnal handling of painting on an un primed surface. Primer greatly enhances its durability.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks for the valuable info, Carlos! I plan to prime with MM enamel in camo gray, is that a go under the Vallejo? Are there any additional precautions I should take regarding masking over that Vallejo? I'm doing a hard edge camo, and may need to use tape for the pattern in some places on the airframe. I've seldom had to worry about that issue using enamels.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary, as you well know, enamels are trouble free for masking. Give them overnight to dry and they are impervious to pulling up by any masking. MM Enamel camo gray should be fine as a primer. If you use a low tack reliable tape like Tamiya, you will be fine. My last project with Vallejo paints used Silly Putty and Tamiya tape for masking. Tape to mask the lower surface away from the upper colors, and Silly Putty on the topside colors for the curvy shapes.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Well, if my upper side comes out that well, I'll be properly chuffed, as they say overseas! :lol: That looks great, Carlos! :shoutout: Thanks for mentioning the Silly Putty, I had forgotten about using that stuff, and it's worked good for me too in the past. I believe I've used the poster tacking stuff too and if memory serves, one of the two left some tell-tale residue when used. I'll need to run an experiment to see which works best this time.

I've sent a message to a decal company, asking their consideration about re-releasing one of their decal sets. It's the one and only set I've found that has all the markings I need. If I had a good working printer, I'd consider making them here at home.

Thanks again for all the help and advice! :bow:

The posing of your P-40 looked so familiar to me; there's a reason why, too:

Squadron mates, no doubt! :grin:
Last edited by Gary Brantley on Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”