Help with C-47 mission markings.

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
keyda81
Advanced Member

Help with C-47 mission markings.

Post by keyda81 »

Been a while I know. The crappy weather is going to roll in soon, and I'm starting to look at what projects I may want to work on this "modeling season". Yes I have a season, lol. Wondering if anyone might have any idea what the mission markings on the side of my beloved Whiskey 7. I've searched around, and from what I have seen online most mission markings on C-47's are painted in white. These are clearly not white. This picture was taken sometime in the spring of 1945. She was moved to the 79th TCS on April 20th, then back to the states in July 1945.

The goal at some point is to build her as she is pictured above, and when she was the 36th TCS, with the 4C squadron code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Call me crazy, but when all is said and done there will be 5 models of her in 1/48. I still plan to build one with spinning props and LED's, but that is on the back burner until after we make some major interior changes. We've been working on the pan seat mounts, and the museum just got a $15,000 grant to restore her radio and navigators sections, which we'll be working on this winter. So I would like to wait until after all that is done.
Stikpusher

Re: Help with C-47 mission markings.

Post by Stikpusher »

Could those be red crosses to symbolize medevac flights? I know that was one of the types of mission markers used. They are too dark as you said to be white or yellow. And no other colors come to mind.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Could be!
Thanks,
John
keyda81
Advanced Member

Post by keyda81 »

I wondered that, it almost looks like liters set up inside. It's hard to tell though. I don't know what else that pole would be for aside from liters. Unfortunately I may have to make a guess, and make it as accurate as I can. I've only got two pictures to by. The other one she is in flight, and it's father away. All you can see is the S6, and the A on the tail. Tail # can not be confirmed. Me and my bright ideas. :headslap:

Return to “Modeling Discussion”