Zoukei Mura F-4E Phantom II

April 1, 2021 through 12/31/2021 - Anything from the Vietnam Era, aircraft, helos, trucks, boats, tanks, artillery, figures, dioramas....if it walks, crawls, rolls, rattles, flies, hovers or goes "boom", it is in. Any scale.
Stikpusher

Re: Zoukei Mura F-4E Phantom II

Post by Stikpusher »

In 1969, the most common ECM pods are going to be the ALQ-71 and the ALQ-87 pods. These were cylindrical with tapered or rounded ends and usually a pair of blade antennas projecting from the bottom. They would be carried if the aircraft was being tasked to go into a SAM high threat area. Since the bombing of North Vietnam was halted between 1968 and 1972, it depends upon which area of Laos the mission plan had the fighters tasked to hit. Along the North Vietnam border and the pods would likely be carried. Areas bordering South Vietnam, probably not.

ALQ-71 & ALQ-87 variants

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you Carlos. No pod that looks like any of them in the kit so not going to worry about it then. Also something odd the kit has tons of AIM7s and 9s but no dumb bombs or napalm. Guess this is going to be only loaded for air to air.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I suggest that you pick up a Hasegawa Weapons set. In 1969, they were doing almost entirely air to ground work. The Sparrows would be carried, but photos from that time show them carrying all sorts of other air to ground ordnance on the hardpoints, not Sidewinders. Save those for your spares bin.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you again Carlos! I'll definitely look for that kit.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Norman

Post by Norman »

I think I have too much respect for a ZM kit to mess it up. Great progress so far.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I've not had a chance to watch your vid yet, but that is coming along very nicely - it's a great build thus far.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Norman and Stuart, thank you both! I couldn't find the Hasegawa set for a decent price so I ordered two sets of blu-27 napalm canisters from Eduard making 8 canisters total because who doesn't love the smell of napalm in the morning lol
Odin's sons... Attack!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Here’s another time where the passing of Squadron sucks. They made some very nice napalm cans in 1/48 resin of different types, and for a good price.

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

[quote="Floki"
Mustang I'm surprised on how fast this is going together myself and I would be even farther along with it but I've been really busy at work and really only had the past two weekends to do anything with it.[/quote] I hear you with work. I've had my hands full at work and here at home. Pretty much doing a bathroom re-model right now. It started out as a simple shower replacement. :headslap:
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looking sharp Clint. Eduard Brassin make a nice AN/ALQ-71 ECM pod if you're hunting for one. #648491
Thanks,
John

Return to “Vietnam Era Group Build 2021”