Deer season 2021

Guns, knives, bows, weapons in general.

NO Politics, None of the stuff we don't allow in other areas. Be nixe.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: Deer season 2021

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That is indeed an impressive haul. I live in a densely populated country and our “nature” is all managed, each inch (or M2) is part of a zoning plan. I cannot imagine going outside to hunt and provide for my family. But I have the utmost respect for it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Floki wrote:Talk about a haul, cleaning all that had to be a nightmare.
It's a lot...but it's the price to be paid.
By myself...I can have the deer skinned, boned out and in the freezer in less than 3 hours. That's with just a basic trimming off of fat and packaging up whole muscle...and not including grinding burger. I do all the final trimming and make my cuts when it comes time to cook it. Those scraps get cooked up for the dog.
With Carol helping out now...it still takes about the same amount of time, having to teach/demonstrate along the way, as well as explain why I do things the way I do.
Next season, things should go a lot quicker!

It aint so bad, really. Fire up the heater in the garage (when needed)...put on some music, have a rum-pop or two. It's even more enjoyable with a hunting buddy!
BlackSheep214 wrote:Once the deer is down, you have to gut him immediately or else the meat will spoil from the gas. Hard work and bloody, yes. You leave the innards to the predators. That's my understanding hearing from a few deer hunters and my bro-in-law.
There seem to be a lot of myths/misconceptions regarding the field dressing and how long you let them hang and regarding temps.
Ideally, the sooner they get dressed out and cooled down, the better.
I have left plenty of deer out overnight. Either a not so good hit or just couldn't find them. Recovered the next morning...zero difference in the final product. Heck, one of them was in Sept...temps in the 70's. Lost blood trail and had to come back the next morning...completely gave up, and happened to dumb luck find him on the way back to the truck. On that particular deer, I even accidently popped the pee bag (which many people will swear destroyers the meat...BULL$#!T!!!). No lie, that was probably the best tasting, most tender deer I've EVER had! Another, just a few years ago...I shot a big doe on a Tuesday evening...tracked to the river...found where she came back out...back in...back out...then lost track shortly after that. I spent a good 7 hours, Wed morning/afternoon, combing the woods/swamp...no joy. I assumed she ended in the river. Got back home, took my deer target to where she was when I shot...shot the target...my scope was off and it was a gut shot. Back to the deer...I noted that this deer seemed to have a bigger white ring around her eyes than usual...she also had an abnormally short tail. Friday morning, my mom called..."Your deer is floating down the river". :hmm:
I went down there and recovered a gutshot deer, with large white rings and an abnormally short tail. At least the river was cold! Even days later, I did it like I always do...all seemed well...and it all tasted just like the rest of em!
BorgR3mc0 wrote:That is indeed an impressive haul. I live in a densely populated country and our “nature” is all managed, each inch (or M2) is part of a zoning plan. I cannot imagine going outside to hunt and provide for my family. But I have the utmost respect for it.
It is a beautiful thing to be able to do such things. Even better that I live in a spot where I can just walk out the back door and do it!!!
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Fermis wrote:It is a beautiful thing to be able to do such things. Even better that I live in a spot where I can just walk out the back door and do it!!!
Amen brother! The plans are set and in motion-we're getting a 16' x 20' rustic cabin built on our place in the country, Brokenoak. It will have a tin roof, with no inside walls or ceiling, six double-pane windows and a front and back door, and a wood stove. There will be a 6' deep wooden, covered front porch and I am looking forward to waking up out there next season and taking a deer from a rocking chair out there! "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" :lol:
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

:wub:

I have thought about building a "party cabin" hear. Basic, rustic...but I'd have to build a stone fireplace(for myself, not for legalities).
The ideal location is on a hill though...and I don't want to do that much digging...or have to raise one side that much!
Fermis
Addicted Member

Re: Deer season 2021...I mean 2023!

Post by Fermis »

Well, it's been a minute...and another season is in the past.
Didn't get out much...maybe 6 times for the 3 month season.

Took an 8pnt with the crossbow (Oct 22)

Saw a few more, but they were either out of range or too small.
5 had gotten themselves trapped inside the fence at my airport. One managed to jump the fence back out, but the others had to be "talked out".

2 for me and 2 for my friend, Carol...(Nov 22)

After T-giving...I got ill, and missed most of muzzleloader season, but we managed to get out on the last day.
Carol got her first with the muzzleloader...(Dec 10)

Freezer's full...that's enough!!!
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Very nice, Fermis! :bow: A full freezer is good indeed; I didn't even get a license this season, or last year either. I still have some meat, mostly sausage, from the three does that I shot back in 2020. They made a lot of sausage, which most of our family loves. The problem is that my wife and I can't eat it fast enough by ourselves. :grin: In fact, nobody hunted our place this season. Next year may be more active as our two grandsons are soon coming of age to hunt. And, we'll have some freezer space to fill by then! :grin:

Day of the Doe, 11.20.20:

Three to go:

Future deer hunters! We're working on trigger discipline! :wink: :lol:

Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

I can't believe you can make 3 deer last 3+ years!!!
We put 10 in the freezer in 21, and 6 for 22. Not one bit of any of that left!
We've already gone through at least one from this past season! (ended 2 weeks ago)

8.5 months to go, til next season!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Great to see you again Jeremy!! Jeez dude.....it HAS been a minute!! :shoutout:
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

mustang1989 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:58 am Great to see you again Jeremy!! Jeez dude.....it HAS been a minute!! :shoutout:

Right?!!! You too!
Got too busy with work, and life in general.
Dads Parkinsons is eating him away...so in addition to all the things I have to do to maintain my own house/property, I have to do all the things he did at their property and my daughters house (next door to my parents). It's a lot, to say the least. Folks went down to Florida for the winter, so I have a little bit of a break, for now.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It's great to see you here again. You hsve been missed.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid”