my oldest antique weapon

Guns, knives, bows, weapons in general.

NO Politics, None of the stuff we don't allow in other areas. Be nixe.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

my oldest antique weapon

Post by Gary Brantley »

I found this stone point on a large gravel bed alongside the Brazos River back in 1983. I had taken my son there for some splashing around in the river on a hot summer day. We were walking back to our pickup when one of his sandals came off. I stopped to put it back on his foot when I looked down and right there, between my feet lay this artifact. Now, I know folks around these parts who find stone arrowheads all the time, but I never had found anything until that moment. I picked it up and immediately knew I had something old.

I remember that there was a family nearby with several small boys and they came over and saw what I had found. I had to laugh a little as they got busy right away looking for more.

Many years later, I was told it was quite old and had been a knife blade once. In fact, this "expert" called it the utility knife of its day. It's tan chert and most likely made by the Caddoan Culture, and is sometimes called a "Friday Knife". I have no idea why. How old is it? Good question and I don't have a definitive answer. Likely several hundred to maybe a thousand years.

This was Tonkawa country when the Spanish first came around. Very near to the place where the Little River which runs past Cameron empties into the much bigger Brazos River, there was a big, sandstone outcropping known as Sugarloaf Mountain.

There was a large Indian settlement in that bottom land and the mountain played a large role in their culture no doubt. In fact, about 30 years ago, a developer bought the mountain and the surrounding land and proceeded to run a bulldozer up it and tore away about 2/3 of the mountain. There had been a large boulder(about 12 feet tall) carved into the shape of a skull, with another skull in it's mouth, that had distinct pre-Columbian features and design. There was also a cave on the north slope that was covered over. The project was finally stopped when Tonkawa nation representatives came down from Oklahoma and testified in a hearing that the mountain had played a large part in their creation myth. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that that mountain wouldn't be there for all time. Damn some people.

At any rate, here's my only genuine artifact and the oldest weapon I own. Would I part with it? Not on your life. :grin:

LyleW
Admin

Re: my oldest antique weapon

Post by LyleW »

That is a keeper for sure!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Sure is Lyle. It was almost like I was supposed to find that thing. If Carson's little sandal hadn't come off, we would've walked right past it, or maybe even on it. And it's another "miracle" that I didn't step on it while fooling with that shoe. I wish I had access to someplace with a lot of arrowheads; I would love to find some other artifacts. :grin:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

What an awesome find! The circumstances of the find are truly amazing- the odds of that happening then and there in such a manner… :hmm:
As far as the rest of the story regarding the area, did the new owner/developer have to repair the damage done to the hill?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks Carlos. No, the old mountain was left as it was. It was a shameful thing to have happened and thanks goodness the Tonkawa representatives came down and put a stop to it. But, the awful damage was already done. The last time I climbed up there was a New Year's Day, around 1990 or '91I think. My son and I went up and what I found brought tears to my eyes. I just couldn't believe what they had done. There was a fair-sized cave on the North side; friends and I spent the night on top of Sugarloaf one night and took shelter in that cave during a thunderstorm. The mountain looms over the Little River bottom lands and there are great 360* views from up there.

The Cannibal Rock:

the same area today:

I wish I had some good photos from "back in the day" but we never suspected that anything could happen to a damned mountain, and it would always be there. How wrong we were to underestimate the greed of men. :sad:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is very cool indeed!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A definite keeper!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks Stuart and Black Sheep! I keep it in a velvet drawstring bag inside my gun safe. Whenever I do handle it, I'm very careful to not drop it. Breaking it like that would break my old heart! :wink:

Return to “You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid”