They continue to multiply...

Or, The Shelf of Doom. Since most of us intend to finish these someday....well, you know.
jelliott523
Master Member

They continue to multiply...

Post by jelliott523 »

I thought I was the only one out there with a "Shelf of Doom" or "I'll set this aside while...." pile. I seem to have started more kits in the last couple of months than ever.
I'm still working on the 1/35 Challenger 2.
I've started working with some pigments, shaders and oils to add some weathering. I'll get some further pics taken of this.
I find a lot of the time, I'll get a kit to a point where I can see the end, then I shoot some paint or primer and then it gets set aside to cure. Often, I've found when I get into a building groove, setting the kit aside to dry, I just want to continue building so out comes another kit. I found this while building the Challenger. Now the following kits have all been started to a point and I'm ready to have them completed to crack something else open.
Accurate Miniature's P-51A 1/48 - fuselage and wings have been mated, working on puttying the seams and ready for initial primer.
Trumpeter's 1/48 F-100D Thunderbird - filled, sanded, primed, filled, sanded, primed and shot with initial coat of GX 2 Gloss Black
Academy's 1/72 B-52H - main construction completed and initial priming done
GWH 1/72 SU-35S - 98% done, needs final decals and addition of small bits
Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito Mk ? - base camo complete, partial weathering, contemplating making masks for roundels and other markings
Tamiya F-16C Block 50 - main construction complete, base priming done, working on touching up seam lines around the nose, hoping for paint by this weekend.
Stikpusher

Re: They continue to multiply...

Post by Stikpusher »

Yup… you aren’t the only one with that habit. It’s far more common that I set a kit aside to let some step dry, set, etc. than it is because I hit a problem that needs to be overcome.
The Chally 2 looks great! If I was at that point the only thing I’d be doing besides working on it would be a figure or something else small that would not distract for long.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Thanks Stik! I have to admit I did have fun building something different than a wingy thing. Enough so, that I have picked up the Rye Fields Easy 8 Sherman :bag:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That is one serious kit! Did you get the one with the full interior?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Oh heck no!!! Baby steps...baby steps!!! I think the track links are going to be challenging enough on that one. I am considering getting some aftermarket stowage to put on the back of it.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Value Gear is the way to go on resin AM stowage. I’m 99% sure that they make a M4A3 stowage set in 1/35.

FLSM
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Value Gear is awesome. I talked with them at Nat's and the owner gave my son 4-5 bags of stuff just because he was a kid interested in models, and probably due to the fact he was buying more kits that I was..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, they were also at Modelzona here. I picked up a few more sets of stowage there and then.

FLSM

Return to “Shelf of Someday”