The Children of Doom

Or, The Shelf of Doom. Since most of us intend to finish these someday....well, you know.
Stikpusher

The Children of Doom

Post by Stikpusher »

The Children of Doom… they told him to throw away his unfinished builds and return to the earth…

Hah! Time enough for the earth in the grave. :wink:

So I’m starting off with this T-72B build that was close to being finished way back in 2004 when I was mobilized with the Guard for 18 months. Unfortunately during my time away, something happened to the kit and the TC hatch was broken off and lost. I figure that one of my kids or the neighbor kids got into my work area while I was gone. So it sat in a box on a shelf in my work are for May more years and a few moves. Then tragedy struck and my daughters cat decided to visit that shelf and sent the box, along with several others, crashing down onto the display area below, damaging this kit and several completed ones… :pod: :hissy:

You can see the lower hull and a broken track under the Stuka :headslap:

So I repainted what I could, boxed it up, and set it aside again, still unable to complete the build. Then a stroke of luck happened, not to long before I left CA. At Brookhurst hobbies, on consignment, was an incomplete boxing of the same kit that had the parts I needed. I bought it, packed it for the move, and left things as they were after moving here. I really had no idea as to how I wanted to finish the build. This is how it looks today.

Aside from a bit more repair and assembly work to do, this will mostly be a painting & finishing project. The current war in the Ukraine has shown lots of these tanks with quite a variety of markings and schemes, so I have decided to pull this one down and finish it up. Tomorrow I think that I will get back to work on it…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: The Children of Doom

Post by keavdog »

That's a survivor story right there! Be cool to see it finished.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I assume you are dressed and all face painted up like Mel Gibson? Neat story.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

keavdog wrote:That's a survivor story right there! Be cool to see it finished.
A survivor’s tale indeed! Now to finish it… :hmm:
LyleW wrote:I assume you are dressed and all face painted up like Mel Gibson? Neat story.
:lol: Nope, no face paint or dress up… at least not yet… :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That rocks! I'm glad that things worked out so perfectly. I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Me too Mark. And for only $5, I don’t think that I could have cast the part for less. Now as for what to do with the rest of the beast… :hmm:

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

It's good that you're able to save it. Looking forward to the completion.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That’s why I won’t display my completed kits in a cabinet with no glass doors. I own a cat myself and she likes to climb in high places and anything small. I’m still looking for some sort of curio / display case with glass doors. I’d build my own but lumber prices has been high as of late. Plus I don’t have the proper tools like a table saw to proceed. :bag:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mike. I’m looking forward to finishing this one too. It’s way overdue… :headslap:

Tom, this one never even made it to display. It was simply on a shelf in the garage when the cat struck. The cat wasn’t even supposed to be out in the garage. And as much as I like cats, no more of them for my home.

Today was the first stage of fixing this one up. I added the TC hatch from the donor kit, and then glued the broken off spot lights and TC windscreen back into place.

I’ll let that dry overnite, then get some paint on there hopefully tomorrow.

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

That tank must have some horsepower if the commander needs a windscreen!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Return to “Shelf of Someday”