SPA Modeler Member Interviews.

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
speedgraflex

Re: SPA Modeler Member Interviews.

Post by speedgraflex »

Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler
Member Interview

Norman Gruss
Hamburg, Germany

1. First model kit?

Mid-1980s 1/35 Tamiya Sturmgeschütz StuG IV and Panzerkampfwagen V Panther built with my father without color but with decals. Later after the TV Series "North and South" I started collecting and painting 1/72 scale figures, American Civil War and the Napoleonic period. The hobby stopped at some point with getting older and then restarted in 2008, after a chronic illness I needed something to relax and distract.

2. Preferred scale or scales?

Aircraft 1/48 and 1/35 Vehicles, mostly tanks. I also have some selected kits in 1/32 scale, Su-27, Phantom, Spitfire and Focke-Wulf FW 190. And I am a submarine fan, especially the Revell 1/72 scale submarines.

3. Preferred subject or subjects?

Soviet jet Aircraft, WW2 Luftwaffe Bf-109 and FW-190 1/48 scale. F-4 Phantoms and some other British military aircraft. The British are different at some point in development and I like that.

4. Favorite model built to date?

British Hunter, F-4M Phantom FGR.2 and Tornado

5. Hardest model built to date?

The old Eduard 1/48 Focke-Wulf FW 190A/D, If you make a error at the beginning, it accompanies you to the end.

6. Holy Grail kit?

Trumpeter 1/35 Mil Mi-24V Helicopter, Too expensive and no space in the showcase.

7. Favorite kit maker?

Miniart and Tamiya, Miniart with such a large selection of T-55 tanks

8. Favorite glue or glues?

Tamiya Extra thin and Micro Kristal Klear

9. Favorite paint or paints?

Gunze, AK real colors, Tamiya, MR.Paint and Mission Models. I secretly collect colors from almost every manufacturer I can get.

10. What started you as a model builder?

I got the hobby from my mother's side, her father was crazy about building scale models. Unfortunately, I never got to know him.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

That's my man! It's a pleasure to know you and to share this hobby with you, Norman. I also admire you for staying strong in your battle against your health issues. Looking forward to our next session at your house!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you for sharing Norman. I like those Soviet AC as well. Too bad you never got to know your grandfather. I had a grandfather on my father's side I never got to know and I feel I missed so much.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Great stuff, Norman! This is such fun to go through and learn about our members!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You are my kind of modeler Norman! Great taste in subject matter and scales! :shoutout: I can’t wait to see more of your work here.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Great interview!, :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Fantastic interview Norman! I also got my modeling from my mother's side: specifically from my mother who built models in her youth and teens. I'm so glad to read this.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Nice to get to know you better, Norman. Best of luck with the illness. I got to spend lots of time with my grandparents and treasure my memories of them both.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler
Member Interview

Stuart Templeton

First model kit?

An old Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon my dad bought me around 1980. Built in about an hour and decalled with no paint!

Preferred scale or scales?

1/72, I keep trying to get into 1/48 as I love the size of the models, but I’m always drawn back to 1/72. I guess it’s what I’m used to. I love 1/35 for armour though, and 1/76.

Preferred subject or subjects?

First and foremost I’m an aircraft guy, which I guess comes from a lifelong love of aircraft, however I do like to build the odd military vehicle from time to time. As far as aircraft go I love WWII RAF subjects along with Cold War jets. Particularly themes I’m working on are aircraft  flown by the Albanian Air Force and Late Fleet Air Arm aircraft.    

Favorite model built to date?

Airfix’s old 1/48 Tornado GR.1 in Gulf war markings.

Hardest model built to date?

Probably Airfix’s new tool Buccaneer S.2C. It’s not a hard kit but I just found it rather boring. It took a lot of effort to get it finished.

Then there’s that Matchbox 1/72 Victor…

Holy Grail kit?

I’ve never really had one, I jump from subject to subject too much. How about a 1/350 HMS Ark Royal from the 1970’s with a full airwing of Phantoms, Buccaneers, Ganets, Wessex and Seakings.

Favorite kit maker?

For Nostalgia I guess it’s Matchbox, FROG and Pre-Hornby Airfix. I love classic kits and have built more of these then anything else.  

Favorite glue or glues?

Tamiya Extra Thin, although I still use a lot of old school Humbrol tube glue.

Favorite paint or paints?

As a non-airbrush painter it’s either Humbrol Enamels of Hataka Blue or Red Line. Both are excellent for brush painting although if I had to choose one it’d be Hataka – I love their paints!

What started you as a model builder?

I’ve always had a love of military and aviation history, and a love a scale models, but although building kits was a part of that growing up, it wasn’t until about 10 years ago that I really got into model making as a hobby.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout:
Good interview Stuart! I do like your themes of Fleet Air Arm and Albanian Air Force. That’s a combo one would be hard pressed to pair up out of the blue. :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”