A needle is a needle is a needle?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

A needle is a needle is a needle?

Post by scorpiomikey »

Giving my Badger renegade a deep clean i noticed the needle is bent at the very tip (maybe the last 8th of an inch is wonky) figure its probably time to replace a couple bits and bobs.
Badger: R4VJ Renegade Velocity Jet Gravity Feed Airbrush.
Do i need to find a needle specific to my airbrush or will any needle of the right size do?
Thanks.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: A needle is a needle is a needle?

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hmmm.... maybe grind it down some with file to return to shape? I did that with my Paasche needle tip. Seemed to work for me.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I would check the nozzle too. A bent tip could easily mess up the tip of the nozzle. I would always buy replacement needles specific to the airbrush since tip tapers may vary from brush to brush.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

The nozzle seems fine. Its a "Self centering" nozzle. So the nozzle doesn't screw in. It floats. Its held in by the head cap screwing on. Ill have a closer look tonight. But the needle is def wonky.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Theoretically, if the dimensions match- length, diameter, and taper of the needle, any of the same size will do as a replacement.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I've never thought of that. I've always replaced needles with the same one.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Theoretically possible but usually no such information is given for replacement airbrush needles. How would you go about trying to match this?

You'd have to go through a lot of trial and error to find a compatible needle. Save yourself some time and money and get the correct one for $11.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

That would be the ideal solution. But im struggling to find the right needle locally. The only ones i can find are for the Badger 150/200 and the Sotar 20/20.
I can get it shipped, but prefer to go local, and id rather not wait 6 months for it to ship and spend more on shipping than the item is worth.
One of the disadvantages of living down here is shipping takes so long and costs so much.
I might ask my LHS if they can get a couple in for me, i was just hoping i could use one thats already in stock somewhere nearby.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Because of the shipping issue I always keep spare needles. I've usually had good luck with USA Airbrush, but ocaissionally I've had to wait for the next production run. Better to get the right needle, airbrushes are ticklish enough even when everything is right.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Contact USA airbrush or Badger and ask them if another badger needle will work.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Modeling Discussion”