Changing paint systems?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stikpusher

Re: Changing paint systems?

Post by Stikpusher »

So you’re needing RLM colors. Here is chart that shows how to mix some RLM colors from various makers, including Tamiya.

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/urban ... s-germany/
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I started with Tamiya acrylics and have since expanded to AK Real Colors and Mr Hobby Aqueous. All of these, from my understanding, are lacquer-based acrylics and have very similar properties. Similar drying times and I can use the same thinners. I agree that the Tamiya color line is somewhat limited and there are some disadvantages to being forced to color mix to get the right shade. For Luftwaffe RLM colors, both AK RC and Mr Hobby Aqueous have a more complete range but I'm not sure if they are widely available in your location.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That’s an excellent combination of paint lines John!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

jkim wrote:I started with Tamiya acrylics and have since expanded to AK Real Colors and Mr Hobby Aqueous. All of these, from my understanding, are lacquer-based acrylics and have very similar properties. Similar drying times and I can use the same thinners. I agree that the Tamiya color line is somewhat limited and there are some disadvantages to being forced to color mix to get the right shade. For Luftwaffe RLM colors, both AK RC and Mr Hobby Aqueous have a more complete range but I'm not sure if they are widely available in your location.

So i can mix those brands no worries? Ok thats good to know. Thanks!
We are pretty limited here.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You can use them one over the other, but I don’t know about actually mixing the different brands to create new colors. But with Gunze and AK’s extensive paint selections, there is no real need to do so.

FLSM
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

I have gotten used to Model Color and Panzer Aces,lots of color choices,as was said,no alcohol and use their Thinner and Flow Improver.I try out diffrent brands,I really like AK Real Colors,they mix spray and clean just like Tamiya with LT.I have also used a few Mission Model Colors,but it doesn't mean I stop using my old brands,for me whatever is available I'll use,

Return to “Modeling Discussion”