Testors Model Master Jet Exhaust

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Testors Model Master Jet Exhaust

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Since Testors has discontinued their Model Master paint line, a color I wished I had picked up to stock up on - Jet Exhaust. I know it was sort of gold-ish in color but have been trying to replicate it by mixing my own. I tried using silver mixed with yellow but for some reason it’s producing sort of a weird greenish gold color.. Added a drop or two of red but it looked more of a rose color. Any ideas?
I had thought of mixing silver with gold but not confident it be the color I’m looking for.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: Testors Model Master Jet Exhaust

Post by Stikpusher »

Try some brown or tan instead of gold or yellow
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Discontinued?!?! Oh no, those were one of my two favorite enamels, along with Humbrol. And I used MM a helluva lot too. Man, this is terrible news Black Sheep. I need to call Kings Hobby tomorrow and see if they have any colors left in stock. :sad:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

TexGunner, it's been news all over every model forums since Rustoleum announced it last year. Even Hobby Lobby have been completely out of it.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

:sad:

I've got a bottle of MM Gloss Sea Blue ordered and arriving Friday. I think I ordered it from Amazon. I'm going to look over my MM stash tomorrow and see what I might need to replenish and then seek those on the world wide web. I knew they discontinued the clear acylic line, which I used exclusively for final coats. That was bad enough, but the paint line too now. Why the hell are they doing that? It was great paint! :hmm:
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Who knows but I'm in the same boat you are. All my clear coats were MMA.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I think that the key phrase there is “was a good paint line”. For the past several years in my personal experience I think that the quality control had slipped noticeably. I frequently had paint bottles go bad and become unusable after one or two sessions. And these were all new/recent purchases. Their shelf life was not what it used to be. It’s not like that they had much competition in the enamels world. Stateside here, it is them or Humbrol. But I personally found myself opting for Humbrol more and more due to better quality. $4 for a bottle of Model Master that didn’t last, or $2 for a smaller tin of Humbrol that would last as long as I needed and performed better.
And lastly I think that the acrylic bandwagon had a lot to do with it- the “gluten free” of the modeling world. Suddenly folks can’t handle the paint and thinner fumes that most of us grew up with. You still need some chemicals to properly thin and clean your brushes, airbrushes, and paints while using the airbrush.
And lastly Model Master Acrlys were terrible paints in my experience. Poor shelf life, poor adhesion qualities, poor hand brushing coverage, constant tip dry while airbrushing, etc. etc. etc. They were a paint of last choice in my own batting orders. If I absolutely needed a particular color now and none other were available, I would reluctantly buy and use them.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

You can try this...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

I concur Carlos regarding the decline of quality. I started noticing problems with MM several years back, when I would open bottles and find that the paint had gelled and was totally unusable. I had been using toothpicks or bamboo skewers for stirring and thought maybe that was the problem. So, I switched to plastic stirrers. That seemed to help, but I've seen the gel thing happen since. So, I don't know...most likely MM cutting corners I's guess. Most of my MM bottles are many years old though and are usable when tried. Humbrol tins do last a long time. I still use some that date from the late '80s with no issues at all. It's sort of amazing that some of the lids can be popped off with a fingernail and still the paint is valid. Good stuff!

But, I see modelers on BritModeler complaining about declining quality of Humbrol too. I think you're also correct in saying enamels are on their way out. I've only used acrylic paint on one or two models since 1988 and frankly, they seem like a lot more problematic than enamels; proprietary thinners and what not. But that's mostly just an old guy who doesn't like to change I think. :wink: I've seen the most incredible acrylic paint jobs and know they are great paint too. Just a bit out of my wheelhouse I guess.

As far as smell and toxic fumes go, as a long-time professional painter who excelled at brushing oil-based enamel (sorry for the boast-but I am a good "enamalator, or is it enamelist?,lol), those odors smell like money to me. :lol:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

And to think enamel thinners is terrible. Lacquer are worse.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”