Looking for F-4E Phantom kit in 1/48 scale

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Looking for F-4E Phantom kit in 1/48 scale

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Found an image of the Turkish F-4E Phantom I'd love to do. Terminator 2020 to be exact. Gotta love the shark mouth version. I know there is HobbyTime brand but its located in Turkey and with shipping it'll be around $60 for the kit.

Can't even find decal set for the Turkish Terminator 2020 Phantoms. Any advice?
Last edited by BlackSheep214 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Looking for F-4E Phantom kit in 1/48 scale

Post by Medicman71 »

I thought that Z-M might do one but they don't have it listed in the upcoming Phantoms. I can't find any specific kit of it either. May have to see what there is to the Turkish Terminator that's different than the standard F-4E.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

No shark mouth, but Caracal did do a set of Turkish Terminator 2020 Phantoms.

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48011.html

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Yeah, I saw that set earlier this afternoon. :bored:

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Medicman71 wrote:I thought that Z-M might do one but they don't have it listed in the upcoming Phantoms. I can't find any specific kit of it either. May have to see what there is to the Turkish Terminator that's different than the standard F-4E.
Z-M did come out with a F-4E Early Phantom II kit. I'm not sure if it would work to build as a Turkish Terminator Phantom though. Perhaps Carlos can chime in to verify.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The ZM early F-4E would need to be updated. At the very least needing the later slatted wings and stabs. From what little I’ve read on the Turkish Terminator 2020, it’s probably gonna need changes in the cockpit as well. Other than that, yes, it would be a fine starting point.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

From Wikipedia

The latest in a long line of F-4 variants, the Terminators are a batch of Turkish Air Force F-4Es, modernized by Israel on the pattern of the Kurnass 2000. They differ from the existing F-4E airframe in a number of key areas, including new attachment fittings to better handle modern weaponry, stronger wing fold ribs, an updated canopy sill bar, and the replacement of some 20 km of wiring (reducing weight by 750 kg) as well as most hydraulic and pneumatic lines and hoses.[11] A plan to increase the turn-rate and longitudinal stability of the Kurnass/Terminator derivatives through the installation of fuselage strakes over the engine inlets was abandoned after testing, and never saw installation on operational aircraft. [12]

The most radical changes occurred in the avionics department. All 2020s have been fitted with vastly updated suite, including MFDs (multifunction displays) as standard, and incorporating a number of new technologies, such as the new Kaiser El-OP 976 wide-angle HUD and HOTAS system, high performance Elta EL/M-2032 ISAR-capable high-resolution SAR/GMTI (ground moving target indicator) multi-mode fire control radar (developed for the IAI Lavi), IAIC mission computer, new navigation equipment including GPS/INS connected to mapping mode, dual MIL-STD-1553B databus managing avionics package, Astronautics Central Air Data Computer, new UHF and IFF packages, airborne video tape recorder (AVTR), Elta EL/L-8222 active ECM pod, Mikes (Aselsan) AN/ALQ-178V3 passive embedded SPEWS, and RWR.[11][13]

Additionally, they received AGM-142 Popeye/Have Nap integration, Litening-II targeting pods, and the capability to launch AGM-65D/G Maverick, AGM-88 HARM, GBU-8 HOBOS, GBU-10/12 Paveway II LGBs, general purpose and cluster bombs for air-to-ground missions, while retaining the capability to launch AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. It is also possible to install Pave Spike targeting pods and rocket pods of all sizes.[11][13]

These upgraded F-4 Phantoms are referred to as the F-4E-2020 Terminator. 54 were modernized and they will be in service until at least 2015 and perhaps longer (29 still in use as of 2019.) They first entered service on 27 January 2000 with deliveries to 111 and 171 Filo.[14]
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Remember I mentioned a company called HobbyTime that’s located in Turkey? Look s like I’m staying far, far away from this company. Read the reviews and it I saw not promising. Folks ordering kits from them, not receiving their orders, etc... Kinda similar to Internet Hobbies.

Anyway, they have the kit I really want but I’m not taking the chance in ordering anything in Turkey. :bored:

https://hobbytimemodelkits.com/product/ ... model-kit/

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Here is all the Turkish 1/48 F-4E stuff out there listed on Scalemates

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q ... D=%22TR%22

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hmmm.... the Italeri Phantom may be what I need to get. Too bad they don't provide a link for the instruction guide.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”