Monogram "nostalgia"...updated with progress pics

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Monogram "nostalgia"...

Post by tempestjohnny »

I also built all of the above as a young lad. At one point had the B-52, B-36, and the 48th B-17, B-29, B-24 all hanging from my bedroom ceiling
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

How big is your display cabinet, or your ceiling? :wink: :whistle:

http://shop.hphmodels.cz/en/model-kits- ... u-148.html

or, https://www.hlj.com/1-48-scale-convair- ... -hph48046l

https://www.hlj.com/1-48-scale-b-52h-st ... -hph48052l

http://shop.hphmodels.cz/en/model-kits- ... u-148.html

Lessee...I could close in the carport and and move my study in there and then...go to the grave with a huge pile of plastic parts from unfinished kits and dried up paint and glue. :wink: :lol:
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Gary - my mistake. It was the old Monogram B-52 Stratofortress in 1/72 scale... not 1/48 scale. This was the kit I built as a kid back in the late 70s:

The other big 1/72 scale Monogram kit I did was the B-36 Peacemaker. I think I got this one for Christmas of '80 or '81.

These kits I would love to build again:

I have that B-52 built and hanging on my ceiling now. In another corner of my ceiling, I have the B-36 hanging. I also started the horses for the Budweiser beer wagon; I figured I'd get them out of the way before doing the wagon itself. I never did do the General; although I'm intrigued about the possibility of doing one.

If I'd known you wanted the Budweiser wagon and General; I could've picked them up for you. I saw three Generals and at least one, possibly two Budweiser wagons at the Nationals and they were going for excellent prices.

And since you wanted to see my two 1/48 scale Deltas, lemme see if I can dig up some pics....

Okay, it seems I only have one pic of the F-102, here it is:

I do have three pics of the F-106, including one shot of the underside with the missiles exposed:

I only have the four missiles because the kit was missing tow of them. Since this was a gift for someone and I had a deadline, I just added only the four missiles.

They are no show winners, but my friend was thrilled with them. That is greater to me than any award.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Duke, your deltas look great! No wonder your friend loved them. I hope mine turn out half that good. :grin:
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Gary! I'm sure yours will turn out at least as good, if not better!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I never saw a Monogram kit until I got back into modelling - So far I've only built a Hawker Typhoon but I'd like to build more - I really like a lot of the subjects and they've always looked like nice kits.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stuart, I think they offer a lot of bang for the buck, and usually Monogram nails the shapes and dimensions where others often fall short in that regard. Many of their kits feature great detail too. I like to think of them as a great "canvas" upon which a modeler can improve and expand to their heart's delight. When I got back into scale model, they were the only kits one could buy in our small town. And now, so many years later, hey, I'm still building them! :lol:
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I like the old Monogram kits

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

If I'd known you wanted the Budweiser wagon and General; I could've picked them up for you. I saw three Generals and at least one, possibly two Budweiser wagons at the Nationals and they were going for excellent prices.
Now he tells me... :bored: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No worries, Mark. I'm just yanking your chain on that remark. :giggles: :giggles: :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Speaking of The Budweiser Clydesdale with Wagon kit, I was looking in my local Craigslist and found someone selling not one but 2 Budweiser wagon kit for $50. Trouble is the seller didn't say they were complete - except the second box was in pretty bad shape and falling apart. He posted pics from the first box. Photos doesn't show too much from one box but not the second box. Either way, I'm not going to bother wasting my time calling or travelling 45 minutes to see for myself to determine it's worth spending $50 on them.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Modeling Discussion”