Revell P-51 Mustang Aftermarket parts

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Revell P-51 Mustang Aftermarket parts

Post by tempestjohnny »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:First off: Thanks all for the info, I have decided against the AM cockpit. Seems like too much fuss, and if what is said is true, it may be unnecessary. The Yahu dash looks good, but I am so super confused at Quinta Studios. How on earth do they 3d print decals??? How does one use them?
They are on backing paper just like decals. But to attach them to the model CA needs to be used
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Therrrrre it is!! CA glue!! And now I know as well. lol
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, it turns out the the 1/48 Revell P-51D does have a PE set out there. Although it is probably long OOP, as it’s one of their early sets.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard- ... g--1087852

Don’t worry about the Monogram label. The kit was originally molded and released by Monogram, pre merger, back in the day.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Stuart wrote:In modelling, like anything else, you tend to learn by doing - I still say if you want to have a go with resin then give it a go, but maybe start with something less arduous than a full resin cockpit on your first go - leave that for your second build! :grin:

In my humble opinion (and bare in mind I hate working with PE and Resin), I've never much seen the point of fitting a full resin cockpit to something like a 1/48 WWII fighter anyway, because even with the canopy open chances are you won't see most of it (1/32's a different story however). If you want to lift a cockpit, to my mind you want to concentrate on the visible aspects, so a good IP, seatbelts and a decent paint finish will work wonders.

If you wanted to dip your toe in the resin pool, Ultracast (in Canada) do a really nice P-51D seat with moulded belts. I suspect it's for the Tamiya kit but I'm sure you could make it fit. The Yuhu IP would be good as well, although there are others.

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/ult48016.htm

Other than that, I'd look at some drop-in (ish) replacements as you see fit - exhausts, wheels, gun barrels can all be changed - there're company's like Eduard, Quickboost that can supply those. You might also want to wire the radio tray behind the pilots seat if you want to add a bit more detail.

As I said before, post the build up here - it's be great to see how you get on!

Cheers!
I understand what you mean about the inability to see the work/parts replacing what is normally there. Quickboost looks like it has some good options, and the ultracast is also promising.
However I think in the end I will just go with quinta decals. It seems like the most detail per price.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Stikpusher wrote:Well, it turns out the the 1/48 Revell P-51D does have a PE set out there. Although it is probably long OOP, as it’s one of their early sets.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard- ... g--1087852

Don’t worry about the Monogram label. The kit was originally molded and released by Monogram, pre merger, back in the day.
I understand the monogram label. I couldn't find a set at a good price though, and I have never worked with Photo Etch anyway. Thanks though
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

tempestjohnny wrote:
Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:First off: Thanks all for the info, I have decided against the AM cockpit. Seems like too much fuss, and if what is said is true, it may be unnecessary. The Yahu dash looks good, but I am so super confused at Quinta Studios. How on earth do they 3d print decals??? How does one use them?
They are on backing paper just like decals. But to attach them to the model CA needs to be used
Good to know, thank you
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I agree. Why go through the trouble of constantly test fitting a new resin cockpit when you can invest in a nice Yahu instrument panel, 3d panel decals, AM seatbelts, tires, gun barrels, etc...
I hate working with PE myself and will avoid them unless the kit is lacking details.

If you really have your heart set on a resin cockpit, save it for a second P-51 kit. Tamiya kit practically put itself together. I did a Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang kit and it fought me from start to finish. Don't get me started on the 4 or 5 piece clear canopy assembly on that kit. Hated every minute of it trying to get it to fit seamlessly.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

I am really looking forward to doing a tamiya kit now, after all the good sounds.
As for the multi part canopy.... :headbang:
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

tempestjohnny wrote: They are on backing paper just like decals. But to attach them to the model CA needs to be used
Actually Johnny, Quinta suggests CVA glue, as well. I thinned some Evergreen Canopy Cement and used that to attach the IP on my Bf-109E-7. I imagine some good old Elmers would work as well. :grin:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Heh... so you know all about the multi-part canopy then. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Modeling Discussion”