Recommendations for Metallic Paint (Brush Painting)

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
jkim
Elite Member

Recommendations for Metallic Paint (Brush Painting)

Post by jkim »

Hey guys,

What's a good line of metallic paints that can be applied with a brush? My measuring bar would be the old Testors (or Model Master) Chrome Silver enamel which is no longer in production. It's great for detail painting as it applies well with a brush and has no grain. It would be nice to get some other colors too like brass, copper, gold, etc. The less grain the better!
Last edited by jkim on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Re: Recommendations for Metaalic Paint (Brush Painting)

Post by Stikpusher »

The square bottle 1/4 oz Testors enamels are still in production. In those I’d recommend Silver, Gold, and Copper. Their Brass is way too grainy.
Humbrol Silver is also nice and extremely smooth, but not so shiny bright as their Testors Chrome Silver.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

If your just doing small detail painting and not huge area of coverage then I like to use Vallejo for all hand brushing they got some nice metallic colors.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Stikpusher wrote:The square bottle 1/4 oz Testors enamels are still in production. In those I’d recommend Silver, Gold, and Copper. Their Brass is way too grainy.
Humbrol Silver is also nice and extremely smooth, but not so shiny bright as their Testors Chrome Silver.
Carlos... do you know if the current Testors Silver enamel (labelled as Metallic Silver) is equivalent to the Testors Model Master Chrome Silver?

Way back in the day, I used to use Testors Silver in that square bottle. I started using MM Chrome Silver when I re-entered the hobby and it seemed like it was that same old Testors Silver. I was hoping that the current Testors Metallic Silver is the same formula but wasn't sure. If so, I'll pick up the Silver Gold and Copper as recommended.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Floki wrote:If your just doing small detail painting and not huge area of coverage then I like to use Vallejo for all hand brushing they got some nice metallic colors.
Thanks Clint! I'll save this as an option if the Testors metal colors don't work out for me.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Floki wrote:If your just doing small detail painting and not huge area of coverage then I like to use Vallejo for all hand brushing they got some nice metallic colors.
:hmm: I couldn't get the Vallejo Metal Colors to brush paint at all. It kept leaving streaks everywhere.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Re: Recommendations for Metallic Paint (Brush Painting)

Post by Stikpusher »

John, I can’t say if the Testors square bottle silver is the same as Model Master Chrome Silver, as I’ve never used the Model Master paint. I’ve had several of the small bottles for many years and never needed to use the Model Master stuff. All I can say is give it a try, experiment on something non important (aka a paint mule), and worst case if it doesn’t turn out, you’re out $2.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

John I've been using the Vallejo Metal Color acrylics. They're really nice to brush and airbrush.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I have a bottle of Model Master Chrome Silver as well. Not much left but still good. Eventually, I'll have to find a replacement brand for Chrome Silver myself. Take a look in Scalehobbyist:

Humbrol Metallic Chrome Silver

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagorie ... &e=0&co=12

Tamiya Mini Chrome Silver

Mr. Metal Color Chrome Silver

Super Metallic 2 Chrome Silver (Gunze/Mr. Color)

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Citadel has some great metallics, I use them quite often.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy

Return to “Modeling Discussion”