Recommendations for Metallic Paint (Brush Painting)

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Recommendations for Metaalic Paint (Brush Painting)

Post by tempestjohnny »

Medicman71 wrote:
Floki wrote:If your just doing small detail painting and not huge area of coverage then I like to use Vallejo for all hand brushing they got some nice metallic colors.
:hmm: I couldn't get the Vallejo Metal Colors to brush paint at all. It kept leaving streaks everywhere.
Mike this was painted by brush with Vallejo metal color

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Recommendations for Metallic Paint (Brush Painting)

Post by Stuart »

Revell Aqua, Citadel or Humbrol enamel all make nice brushable metallics. I tend to avoid things like vallejo and, Hataka as imho those stupid dropper bottles never mix metallics properly.

Brush painted with Revell Aqua...

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

I find Vallejo metallics to be ok, but I found they work better when used with one of those automatic shakers or an agitator is put in the bottle.

I recently found a brand called The Army Painter, and I love their gun metal paint. Hands down the best I have ever brushed with. I bought a set of more metallics by them, but haven't had to use them yet. I assume they will work just as well. Their non metallic colors are great too, I find the brands geared more for war gaming miniatures work the best for brushing based on my experience.
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I hose clamp a Vallejo bottle to a old blade with the teeth filed off and shake them up on my jigsaw.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Amazon sells these “nail polish mixers” that fit hobby paints just right…

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Along the lines of the jigsaw idea; one friend of mine modified one to hold a bar clamp which then held a paint bottle. Shook them up well. He called it the Binford 6100 paint mixer. :giggles: Unfortunately, without a certain mod; it won't work on Vallejo paints.

I'll try to get a pic of it during the next Hobby Day.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I was doing an inventory check of my paints and I found a brand new bottle of this...

I can now answer my own question and confirm that the Testors Metallic Silver is the same as the Model Master Chrome Silver.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Many, but not all, of the 1/4 oz. Testors square bottle paints are the same as certain Model Master colors. Let us know how the two colors compare please John.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”