Airbrush recommendations...

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Re: Airbrush recommendations...

Post by scorpiomikey »

Ive still got my Neo from years ago. Ive dropped it and thrown it about and abused the ever loving :whistle: out of it. And its still great for laying down primer.
If i had to buy another one at this stage i would probably buy one of them.
I was lucky enough to get a Badger: R4VJ Renegade Velocity at a stupidly discounted price. Normally $240, buy a $40 subscription to the website and get it for $149. (NZD bear in mind, everythings about twice as expensive as everywhere else) So didnt take much thought on that one.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I've got a NEO also. Its a great airbrush. This was my first gravity fed AB. And it is night and day in terms of ease of cleaning compared to a siphon feed
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents - Neo's looking the most likely then. My wife was actually quite supportive of the idea, so it maybe a go. I'll need to look at a nice little compressor and extractor as well.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stuart, I started out airbrushing with a really old, pulsing compressor probably made in the 1940s. When it pooped out, I switched over to CO2. I lease two bottles from a welding supply company (might've been better to buy the bottles outright?) and have them refilled as needed. I always had trouble keeping moisture out of the line with that old compressor and with CO2, it's not an issue. It's quiet and convenient to use. I have no idea about compressed gas prices in the UK and it might not be a viable option for you over there. :hmm:

Here's a pic showing the setup in my study:

And like you, I've also been thinking of a new airbrush. All my models have been painted with a Paasche Model H, single-action, syphon-feed AB. The design hasn't been changed much since its debut in the '30s. It's a workhorse but obviously has its limitations and thus, I'm thinking about an upgrade! I'll be watching to see what you decide on and then of course, some results! :grin:
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I had thought about going with CO2 at one time but in the end I got a California airtools compressor and love it. It's ultra quiet and uses the same type of compressor that's on a refrigerator. You can have a conversation without raising your voice while it's running. It's also got a 2gallon aluminum tank so don't have to worry about rust or random drops in pressure
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stuart wrote:Hi All,

I'm not saying I will, but...
This is great news Stuart!

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

One can hardly wait to see how you will excel with an airbrush, after mastering so well the "hairy" stick technics!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

I agree with Kari; Stuart you do amazing work with a brush mate! :bow:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

lol! thanks chaps - although I suspect my AB work will be a lot less good than my brush work to begin with.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Wow, a great leap forward for you Stuart! In my humble opinion... having an airbrush is an absolute must for most modelers. It doesn't matter how good one is with a paint brush, there are just some things that you cannot do without an airbrush.

I don't have any experience with the Neo but I have an Iwata HP-C Plus that works great for 99% of my modeling needs. I also have a Badger Sotar with a smaller needle (0.2mm vs 0.3mm) that I use when I want a REALLY tight spray pattern but it rarely gets used.

Prior to this I used to have a Paasche H single action and V double action with siphon feed. Not bad but once you go to a good double-action airbrush with a gravity cup, it's hard to go back to anything else.

I second the recommendation for the California Air Tools compressor.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart wrote:lol! thanks chaps - although I suspect my AB work will be a lot less good than my brush work to begin with.
Stuart, while there certainly is a learning curve with an airbrush, on basic paint schemes, it’s fairly easy to master them. Each airbrush has its own quirks to master, but you’ll find that many things are not as challenging as they may look or you think that they may be.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”