Balsa wood aircraft kits

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Balsa wood aircraft kits

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Remember those? Years ago, I tried building one as a kid, too hard and confusing for a kid then. Are they still around? I never see them anywhere - not even at Hobby Lobby.

It’s something I’d love to take on a challenge in building a balsa wood aircraft kit another go.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: Balsa wood aircraft kits

Post by Stikpusher »

Are you talking about the Guillows type? Stick and tissue to make a flying model? You’d probably need to check a shop that specializes in RC and other flying models.
I made one when I was in high school, but only got a few flights out of it before I overwound the rubber band and snapped the anchor point for that. So much effort for so little return… :whiteflag:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Ive got one in my stash.
Saw a 1/16th P-47 in the hobby shop the other day. $210 :shocked:
https://www.acornmodels.co.nz/products/ ... aft/96362/
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

There is a lot out there still, a lot of them laser cut. I make larger size kits and plans, mostly of models from the 30'a and 40's, for R/C. I have done a kit for one rubber power low wing job. Truthfully, I hate the Guillows and Sterling kits and think they turned a lot of kids away from the hobby because the wood was of such low quality. The link to my web site is in my signature line, you can navigate back up to my R/C stuff from there.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Oh yes, remember very well!

I had a friend who started to build on balsa plane (making a RC airplane). He gave up after a while, was not so easy the tought (or he did not have patience with it)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:Are you talking about the Guillows type? Stick and tissue to make a flying model? You’d probably need to check a shop that specializes in RC and other flying models.
I made one when I was in high school, but only got a few flights out of it before I overwound the rubber band and snapped the anchor point for that. So much effort for so little return… :whiteflag:
Yup. Those were it - the stick and tissue flyiing model kits. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Got the DHC-2 languishing and the Guillows DC-3 waiting. The DHC-2 was laser cut and a joy to work with. The DC-3 is die cut.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Post by Greg »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Remember those? Years ago, I tried building one as a kid, too hard and confusing for a kid then.
I had the same experience as a kid. Thing sat around unfinished forever, might have still been there when I left for school for all I know.

Like Kari's friend, I did do an RC one about 15 yrs, a simple, beginner level kit. I finished mine. I found the larger components much easier to deal with than the fiddly Guillows scale balsa and it turned out pretty good.

Our 'instructor' crashed it on it's first flight (not really his fault, he went inverted and I didn't know I was supposed to secure the battery in position). Never forget the look on my son's face. Devastating. :headbang:
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I'd like to try a good quality laser cut kit. I remember being so frustrated with the ones that were essentially printed on balsa. No exacto in the world was sharp enough to keep the balsa from splitting.
Thanks,
John

Return to “Modeling Discussion”