What's on your work bench atm ?

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: What's on your work bench atm ?

Post by BlackSheep214 »

LyleW wrote:Nice. Neither my kids or grand kids showed ,any interest.
Neither does my son... :bored:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

So about a month ago I pulled out an old sidelined barely started shelf queen. It’s a Chinese clone of the Academy Mig-21, but modified into their Chengdu F-7B variant. I had built the basic cockpit, wings, afterburner area, and vertical stabilizer, but not done any painting. I figured it might be a good one to get the mojo flowing again. So I started some painting at that time, then this past weekend I finished the painting and on Tuesday I started gluing things together in the fuselage. Yesterday I cleaned up the fuselage seam then added the wings and empennage. By early afternoon I had something that looked like a Mig!

In all honesty the kit is a soup sandwich accuracy wise. They got the nose contours all wrong, using the wider intake of the Fishbed D, instead of the more tapered nose of the Fishbed C. But it’s an easy build, and it’s helping me get back in the groove…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice work Stik!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mike. It’s not gonna be anything fancy, but it will get me to finish something, and knock down my sidelined roster by one. A win/win, even if it is a less than desirable kit.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Yes I can see what you mean by the nose shape, but otherwise it looks pretty good - such an iconic Cold War aircraft!

Great to see you back at the bench Carlos!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart. Feels good to be back oat the bench again. As far as the nose goes, it would take a major surgery to correct it. I did cut back the shock come a bit to correct that, but all those major surgeries on projects tend to slow me down and contribute to me losing interest in projects lately… I’ll be doing more “go with what you’ve got” for the next while… maybe with a minor tweak here and there though… :wink:

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a good way of looking at it. I honestly think with some kits, especially the short run and older stuff, it's worth just forgetting about accuracy etc. and concentrating on just enjoying the kit for the kits sake, and building it as the kit makers intended it to be built, maybe even giving it a whif scheme for the hell of it. That's what I did with my Airfix Mig-15.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stuart that is how I build 98% of my models. There's too many to build and not enough time so why "waste" it on difficult and sometimes indistinguishable changes? I want to get mine done.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Honestly, if it's close enough for me, I'll build it as is. If it's a correction that I can easily make (like the bulges on the Prowler) then I'll do it.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Just getting started. Trying out Mission Models paint and the hairspray chipping technique so expect a disaster :giggles:
Thanks,
John

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”