Picked up some more Allied air power today...

Show us where you work and what kits you have.
-Latest Acquisitions
KennyX
Elite Member

Re: Picked up some more Allied air power today...

Post by KennyX »

Ah. Gotcha!

Shape issues aren’t too big a deal to me as long as they’re not heinous or glaring. Like the cowl on my Stuka. To my eye, and the pictures I’ve seen, it’s fine. But it has been lambasted by more than a few builders and review writers. For me, it’s not that evident and it’s a fun kit to build. And the fun, enjoyable part is indeed like Stuart said, the point.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

As long as you're not a super rivet counter, they're great kits. And you can get them cheap a lot of the time from Squadron.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, Trumpeters gaffes tend to get them a bit of a rep online, so they don’t sell as well as they would if they got it right the first time... which often works out to our benefit as modelers with clearance sales... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

I’ll say this about Trumpeter. They make a decent kit in my opinion. Taniya makes a superior kit. And Eduard makes a vastly superior kit.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, Trumpeter does make nice kits. As do all the other companies that you listed. And many others as well. But every one of them has their kits that are gems, while others are lumps of coal. Just take each kit on its own merits, no matter who makes it.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Just take each kit on its own merits, no matter who makes it.
TRUTH.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Trumpeter makes the best F-100 in 1/48.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well there are only three choices... the Lindberg Hun, which probably dates from the early 60’s or so,.. The Monogram kit, from the late 70’s... or the more recent Trumpeter kit...

FLSM
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

In all seriousness, upon reflection I like Carlos’ original point, and don’t mind me, I’m just deeply butthurt over what Trumpeter did to the cockpit in their 1:32 Emil offering, and I’m being really immature about it.

Truth be told, I like Trumpeter’s 1:32 Stuka kit quite a lot, and it is every bit as enjoyable to build for me as my revered Eduard kits. And I especially like how Trumpeter went completely balls-to-the-wall with this kit by providing such an accurate engine in 1:32.
Kenny X
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Medicman71 wrote:The ones I've built have been great. A few minor fit issues but nothing I can't handle. Their problem is shape issues. The rivet counters bash them all the time for it. Apparently the A-7, F-111 and Tornadoes have shape issues but to my eye they look fine.
The A-7 being near and dear to my heart...Trumpeter and HobbyBoss A-7's bug the heck out of me.
Almost all of their kits have had something that bugged me, but not enough to not build em! I've done 4 1/72 H/B A-7s, and have another 6 in the stash, plus 2 in 48th, and Trumpy's big 1/32 offering. They are all pretty much the exact same kit, just different sizes.
Truth be told, I've probably built more Trumpy/HobbyBoss kits, than I have Tamiya. I have 45 Trump-H/B kits in the stash...and only 3 Tamiya.

Return to “Your Work Bench and Stash”