Remember the 707 barrel roll?

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

Remember the 707 barrel roll?

Post by LyleW »

Well here is the Red Bull DC-6 doing a loop....at 4:10

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Re: Remember the 707 barrel roll?

Post by Stikpusher »

Even after watching it there, quite hard to believe that a DC-6 flew a loop. :wow:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I'm not convinced it was a loop. The shift in perspective of the camera can be deceptive, and it would be very difficult to do a loop without exceeding the limit load factor for the DC-6, which is 2.5 flaps up, and 2.0 flaps down. Transport category airplanes have lower load limits than lightplanes. Normal Category lightplanes have a limit of 3.8 positive and less than that negative.

It would be extremely difficult do do a loop in any airplane without exceeding 2G's in the pull up and the recovery to level flight, the usual result would be to run out of airspeed before you get over the top.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Yeah, looks like a "Helicopter loop" where it looks like a loop but isnt.
But thats ok. The effort was made, and its still impressive.

Now about this 707 loop?
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Watching a second time I see what you mean John. I too thought the wings would come off at the bottom of the loop. Also seems like pretty low altitude to start a loop in a plane like that. :hmm:
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

scorpiomikey wrote:Yeah, looks like a "Helicopter loop" where it looks like a loop but isnt.
But thats ok. The effort was made, and its still impressive.

Now about this 707 loop?
Here ya go:

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

That's an aileron roll, and you can do that with one G positive all the way through. It's easy on the structure so long as you are at or below the speed for full aileron deflection. The key is to start the maneuver with a pull up pitch attitude that is equal to the down angle you will have on the exit, and not so steep that you get too slow on the top, and not so shallow that you can't maintain one G while inverted without a steep exit that may result in an overspeed. If you have seen the video of Bob Hoover doing a roll in the Shrike Commander with a water glass on the top of the instrument panel, that's a well executed aileron roll. There are numerous ways to screw the maneuver up so practice with your cheap airplanes first.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

jeaton01 wrote: If you have seen the video of Bob Hoover doing a roll in the Shrike Commander with a water glass on the top of the instrument panel, that's a well executed aileron roll...
Didn't he used to do that with the engines shut down?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I don't think the water glass video was done with an engine shut down, but I think I remember him doing one with one engine shut down at the beginning of the roll, and with that one running and the opposite side shut down at the conclusion. Busy hands! I can't find a video of that but here's one of a full flight with a 16 point roll and both engines shut down. What a guy.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The mention of Bob Hoover reminded me of this old kit…

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Free Discussion”