That time again!

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Re: That time again!

Post by Fermis »

Stuart wrote:
That's cool. I know a lot of people here in the UK throw most of their catches back, but I was wondering if it was the same in the States.

I'm not a fish man myself. but I've heard good stuff about Pike. It was very popular in the middle ages apparently.
I say the majority of people here that hobby fish release far more than they keep.
Pike are quite boney...but if they're big enough, you can cut the filet along those "extra" bones and not lose too much meat.
Legal size here is 24"...I usually don't keep em unless they're closer to 30"+.
I'll cut out that extra row of bones then chop the filet into bite size pieces, boil it, pour on some melted garlic butter (LIGHT on that garlic!)...a little pepper...YUMMO!!!
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Duke Maddog wrote:Wow, what a fun trip! I would love to do that someday.

As for recreating that waterfall, hey; you're a modeler! You got this! Just use some of those diorama skills on a larger scale...

Yeah, I can see that material costs could be an issue though. But wow, wouldn't that be something!
Yup...budget is the only thing holding me back!!!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Fermis wrote:
BlackSheep214 wrote:Fermis! I live in Utica, NY!!!! You shoulda looked me up, brother! Which scenic route did you take?
I shoulda!
I knew you were somewhere in the mid-ish NY area.

We took 8. Stayed at "Oxbow Lake Motel" for that night. Zig-zagged the rest of the way after that.

Next time you come around these parts, head up on 12 North straight up to the Adirondacks. Lots of campgrounds and cabins you can rent. Raquette Lake is one place I’d love to get a cabin right on the lake. Nothing like listening to the haunting calls of loons in the early morning hours with a cup of coffee or at dusk with a beer or two.Lots of lakes up in the Adirondacks.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Sounds great!
We've done the Smokey Mts. a few times (I've had enough!)...drive time is close enough to the same. I'd rather take your recommendation the next time!
Maybe next years trip!
We've started getting loons, here at home, in recent years. Few and far between...but we do get em.
Going to Colorado (Avon) at the end of the month. That's gonna tap us out for trips this year (other than long weekends up north).
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Hung out, down at the folks yesterday afternoon...did a little fishin', of course!

I kicked it off with 20-25 rock bass...dug myself into a real hole with that "score"!!!

I found a few worms under a log and tried some bottom fishing in the river...haven't done that in years!

Caught a 23" sucker, followed by a little bluegill.
Then I caught a bullhead. I haven't caught one of these here in over 30 years!!!

Then a small bowfin (aka dogfish)...it's also been around 30 years since I've caught one of these on rod-n-reel (used to get bunches, bow fishing at night)
This is the smallest one I have ever caught (aside from fingerlings in a minnow seine)...only about 10-11"...they're usually in the 20-24" range.

And finally...just a regular ole yellow perch. I used to catch em by the bucket full, when I was a kid. It's been at 15 years since I caught one here though...

I like catching big fish as much as anyone else....but have just as much fun catching little one too! Quantity kinda makes up for lack of quality...sometimes!!!
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

About the same today, as yesterday...

Only 2 rockbass though!
1 "dinker" smallmouth (6"), 1 bluegill, 1 perch and a brown bullhead (rather than yellow bullhead, like yesterday)

"Little dog", as I call her (Joy, is her name to everyone else, is my daughters dog)...she likes to play parrot!

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Lol! That's awesome! My cat does the same thing!

I haven't seen a Bullhead in years, we used to catch them all the time as kids, just with nets!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Beautiful! Congrats on the fun scores man! I wish I could catch fresh water fish. I've never caught anything but panfish, most of which were too small to keep. Love the dog; my cat does that as well. I even had one cat that would 'play parrot', watching me while I was cooking!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

This little dog love her "grampa"!
For a little dog, she's alright.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Some pretty cool catches there. When I lived in CT we had a small bass tournament on the CT river. I caught a 6lb bowfin on a jig. Tore that jig up. Had another guy catch one that had a bent 4/0 hook to show us.

Return to “Free Discussion”