That time again!

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: That time again!

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow! That rocks man! What a great and successful fishing trip!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Fermis wrote: White bass...

This was my first time ever catching one.
I was told they get pretty mooshy, pretty quick and they don't freeze well. So I only kept 2 to try out.
I cooked one up for lunch. 1st bite...I instantly regretted not keeping a few more!
Whoever told you that about them, probably wanted more for themself... :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

FINALLY!
I caught a WILD rainbow trout. Had to go all the way to New Hamp. to make it happen...but it happened and it was D-E-Licious!

I've caught plenty of trout in my days...most were stocked/hatchery fish though. Hadn't caught WILD trout since a trip around Colorado, Wyoming and Montana...almost 35 years ago!
On the drive out there, I got off the highway at Utica NY and took the scenic route the rest of the way. Stopped for diner and ended up just staying the night at the motel next door. There is a whole lot of not much out there! There was a nice lake behind the place. I made a few casts and caught my 1st pickerel (much like our northern pike, just a lot smaller). Also caught a couple smallmouth in the Moore Reservoir.

Most of our time was spent driving around and sight-seeing. Lots of time on the trails through the parks. Waterfalls everywhere...and lots of rock. I have almost as much of a fascination with rock, as I do antlers and fish!

If only I had the budget...I'd recreate this in my yard!

Being "off-season"...no crowds. PERFECT! A week was just long enough...we spent the last day at the resort, lounging, playing cards and even took a nap.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Wow! that is fantastic spot!

I know this sounds a stupid question, but what do you guys do with your fish. Do you eat all of them or do you thrown any back?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Fermis! I live in Utica, NY!!!! You shoulda looked me up, brother! Which scenic route did you take?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That looks like a beautiful place to rest.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Stuart wrote:Wow! that is fantastic spot!

I know this sounds a stupid question, but what do you guys do with your fish. Do you eat all of them or do you thrown any back?
It varies. Depends on where the fish comes from and what "flavor" of fish it is. I haven't kept a bass (other than those 2 white bass) since I was a kid.
Haven't kept anything out of my lake/river here at home in several years.
I have never released a salmon or trout(of legal size).
Pike is one of my favorite for eating and I'll keep 1-2 a year (if they're not from my local river system).
All in all...I'd say a good 95% of what I catch gets released.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Fermis! I live in Utica, NY!!!! You shoulda looked me up, brother! Which scenic route did you take?
I shoulda!
I knew you were somewhere in the mid-ish NY area.

We took 8. Stayed at "Oxbow Lake Motel" for that night. Zig-zagged the rest of the way after that.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, what a fun trip! I would love to do that someday.

As for recreating that waterfall, hey; you're a modeler! You got this! Just use some of those diorama skills on a larger scale...

Yeah, I can see that material costs could be an issue though. But wow, wouldn't that be something!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Fermis wrote:
Stuart wrote:Wow! that is fantastic spot!

It varies. Depends on where the fish comes from and what "flavor" of fish it is. I haven't kept a bass (other than those 2 white bass) since I was a kid.
Haven't kept anything out of my lake/river here at home in several years.
I have never released a salmon or trout(of legal size).
Pike is one of my favorite for eating and I'll keep 1-2 a year (if they're not from my local river system).
All in all...I'd say a good 95% of what I catch gets released.
That's cool. I know a lot of people here in the UK throw most of their catches back, but I was wondering if it was the same in the States.

I'm not a fish man myself. but I've heard good stuff about Pike. It was very popular in the middle ages apparently.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Free Discussion”