Awful Quiet in here

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Awful Quiet in here

Post by keavdog »

I dare say it is actually, I've never done any shooting myself (other than a .177 air rifle years ago) but I suspect I'd enjoy it if I had a go - I enjoy the archery. Our bows aren't very big, maybe 30-40lbs draw. Certainly deadly out to 50-60ft I'd say, but I've actually shot (for a laugh) it to about 200, just to see how far it's go.
I have a couple pellet pistols and a rifle and a pellet trap target. Super fun in the back yard. For the big ones I have to go out to BLM land or a shooting range.
I had a 50LB Bear recurve and even as a young man that wore me out pretty quickly.
Thanks,
John
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Didn’t we talk about a firearm thread at one point. I think that would be fun. Expand it to all weapons so we include the longbows, Viking axe and clubs :ballbat:
Thanks,
John
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Stuart wrote:Man you guys live in a scary country! Most people over here wouldn't have one in the house - let alone consider 'home defence' :wow:

Mind you, we do have at least 5 swords, one Viking axe and three Longbows in the house... :hmm:
It's really only the urban areas they show on tv all the time that are scary and the media tries to push that all of America is like that when in reality only a handful of cities. Chicago and Baltimore probably being the two worse followed by Atlanta and Portland. Also I think people outside of the US forget how big it is, where it's possible to drive from the southern to northern tip of England in a day you would be lucky to make it past a quarter across the country. Also like Fermis said it took the police 17 minutes to come 2 miles. I live three blocks from the police station I can see the flag on the roof from my upstairs window. The neighbor seen some kids breaking into his car and called the cops it took them 20 minutes to show up.

I like the older styles personally with my favorite to shoot a Henry lever action .22 little boy also have a lot of bolt actions including a Enfield and Kar98k. The AR15 not really my style but I got one for the fact some politician surrounded by bodyguards ain't going to tell me I can't have one to defend my family and house.

:giggles: I didn't mean to blabber on this long, but yeah a weapons section sounds like a fun idea
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Ha, one of my favorites is a single shot bolt action .22 with the Sears mark I got when I was around 12 or so. When your given one bullet, you learn to aim.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok Vassily :wink: I actually learned on a similar rifle and taught my son to shoot with a single shot breech loader that was from his grandfather.

Now, you gotta love a lever action rifle. I’ve personally never owned or fired one, but those are both on my list. Those rank with six shooters and pump shotguns for old school shooting. Both of which I am quite familiar with, and love dearly.

Now I think a shooting’ irons thread might be in order here... no politics or rants allowed, just what we might like or dislike regarding such items.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Plus .22lr is cheap again and can spend all day shooting on $20.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

My brother had a Winchester model 94 30-30. Super fun to shoot lever action.
Thanks,
John
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Stikpusher wrote:
keavdog wrote:Ha, one of my favorites is a single shot bolt action .22 with the Sears mark I got when I was around 12 or so. When your given one bullet, you learn to aim.
Ok Vassily :wink: I actually learned on a similar rifle and taught my son to shoot with a single shot breech loader that was from his grandfather.

Now, you gotta love a lever action rifle. I’ve personally never owned or fired one, but those are both on my list. Those rank with six shooters and pump shotguns for old school shooting. Both of which I am quite familiar with, and love dearly.

Now I think a shooting’ irons thread might be in order here... no politics or rants allowed, just what we might like or dislike regarding such items.
I still have the rifle and would challenge anyone on iron sights with it. I’ll post a pic
Thanks,
John
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I learned to shoot on a single shot .22 in Boy Scout camp. During free range time you could get 20 for $1
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

We have a Marlin Model 39A, lever. My son has it now. Tube magazine. Used to keep in in my room at college. Great rifle. I, too, learned gun safety in scouts. Had a bolt action .22 single shot,, pellet rifle. Great times.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Free Discussion”