Perhaps a stupid idea...

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Re: Perhaps a stupid idea...

Post by midnightprowler »

White elephant gift would be a little harder to do via internet. It's where you have a pile of gifts, the first person picks a gift, the next person either picks one from the pile or picks the one just picked, if that happens, that person picks a new one, so on so forth until all gifts are chosen. On Agape model forum we have a secret santa gift exchange.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Ah but on Agape you have Major Lint Stitch to keep everyone under control!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I've been on several Forums that have done this Secret Santa gift exchange before. On the old LEM we would do this and on the day before Christmas Eve (Dec 23rd), we all would log in sometime that day and post the pictures of our package; our package in the gift wrap after opening and then the unwrapped present. One time we had 23 people all on at the same time. You had to keep refreshing the page as responses came in so quickly. What a blast; it was almost like having a live in-person LEM Christmas Party!

I know Modeler's Alliance has done this too, among others. None of them had a specific log in date to show everything; it was usually just posted in the "Latest Acquisitions" type thread whenever.

Sending built models through the shipping services though does offer some interesting challenges:

->Shipping costs and time between Europe and the US and Canada.
->The time to build the model; some people build much slower.
->The issue of packing it well enough to survive extremely rough handling in transit.

The way I remember the way these other Forums did it; all who participated sent their name, address and modified wish list of kit, manufacturer, scale and subject that they wanted. I mention scale because as everyone knows, I only build 1/72 scale aircraft and armor. One year I got someone who either forgot that, never knew that, or didn't pay attention to the scale on the box, so I got a 1/48 scale helicopter that I wasn't going to build. I do still have that in my sale pile.

The person who collects everything then sets about sending random people's info to other participants; where the recipient finds, wraps and sends the model to their chosen Secret Santa gift recipient. I remember on some forums it was desired that the Christmas gift be built within the following year; on others it didn't matter.

If this is going to happen, then it should be started soon as shipping (especially during this time of pandemic) is sketchy already, so additional time should be made available to allow everything to arrive at their respective destinations before Christmas Eve at least.

If it does happen here, I wouldn't mind participating...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am onboard too.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Is there a way to make a sign up sheet on this forum?
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy

Return to “Free Discussion”