Perhaps a stupid idea...

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Perhaps a stupid idea...

Post by Stuart »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:
keavdog wrote:We do a Secret Santa gift exchange every Christmas over on FSM. About 20 or so folks participate. You send the guy that runs it your name, address and general interests and he randomly picks someone and sends you their information. You buy and send a model kit by Christmas and you receive one. Really fun to open on Christmas morning. Keep the prices reasonable e.g. < $50.00. This is my 3rd year participating and its been a lot of fun.
I think something like that, but with built kits. So its kind of personal?
It's actually a nice idea but yeah, I forsee issues with shipping. One way around it would be to complete all the major parts and ship those - for the recipient to fit together :hmm:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote: Only when it is your turn to buy the drinks! Twenty-one down here.
18 in the UK :tease: :Beer:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Stuart wrote:
LyleW wrote: Only when it is your turn to buy the drinks! Twenty-one down here.
18 in the UK :tease: :Beer:
19 here in Nova Scotia
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well crap!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Trying to ship a completed model is a really bad idea.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

:whiteflag: Yeah I should have realized this earlier
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

It's a good start though. I think the gift exchange like the others mentioned is a better way to go.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Yup.... John is correct. FSM does a Secret Santa GB every year but it did set a spending limit for kits. Hell, I even participated in my first Secret Santa GB a few years ago is when I received the Tamiya T-34 Russian tank kit. Except I never started it. :bag: I forget who it was from.

My understanding is when you put your name in to participate, but can’t remember if you’re allowed to provide a short wish list of sorts. ie: P-51 Mustang, USS Arizona, etc... Well, you get the idea. I believe they give you a year to complete it.

As Lyle mentioned, the cost of shipping to the participant can vary by kit. Auto kits, 1/35 scale armor, 1/48 scale aircraft, and some ship kits cost more than a 1/72 scale armor kit or aircraft kit. You'll need to factor in costly shipping charges to ship to and from our European members here as well. It can be expensive.

It does sound like fun but I’m still on the fence in participating this year.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Medicman71 wrote:
It's a good start though. I think the gift exchange like the others mentioned is a better way to go.
I think you're right, as with everyone else. Glad I thought of this now, not later in the season
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Yup.... John is correct. FSM does a Secret Santa GB every year but it did set a spending limit for kits. Hell, I even participated in my first Secret Santa GB a few years ago is when I received the Tamiya T-34 Russian tank kit. Except I never started it. :bag: I forget who it was from.

My understanding is when you put your name in to participate, but can’t remember if you’re allowed to provide a short wish list of sorts. ie: P-51 Mustang, USS Arizona, etc... Well, you get the idea. I believe they give you a year to complete it.

As Lyle mentioned, the cost of shipping to the participant can vary by kit. Auto kits, 1/35 scale armor, 1/48 scale aircraft, and some ship kits cost more than a 1/72 scale armor kit or aircraft kit. You'll need to factor in costly shipping charges to ship to and from our European members here as well. It can be expensive.

It does sound like fun but I’m still on the fence in participating this year.
Hmm especially with current "circumstances" shipping is a pain.

Return to “Free Discussion”