Camera recommendations

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Tojo72
Master Member

Re: Camera recommendations

Post by Tojo72 »

I love my Sony point and shoot with a Zeiss lens.It has a 20x zoom lens which is great,in stadiums,I'm out in left field,but my pictures look like I'm standing next to the batter,and great crystal clear pictures.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

KSaarni wrote: But the XR is still a very good one! I have still my old XR that I use privately (my other iPhone is "12" and is my workphone, that superb picture quality as well)

The picture below is taken a moment ago with my XR, I would say ok quality ?

- Kari
Seems to be a good enough phone. It was free to me from our carrier. My old, really old, iPhone was only 3G capable and they stopped 3G....so they sent a new phone. I guess they got a good deal on the old stock. It was new in the box. Great picture - from a great model maker.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Tojo72 wrote:I love my Sony point and shoot with a Zeiss lens.It has a 20x zoom lens which is great,in stadiums,I'm out in left field,but my pictures look like I'm standing next to the batter,and great crystal clear pictures.
I will likely pursue that in a few months or so...funds and all. I don't think I'll be pursuing getting the Nikon repaired. Those cotton-pickers are pricey now. Well, they all are.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Lyle, I've been using a Canon point n' shoot, an SX160is model, for several years and I feel as good about using it as our Nikon DSLR. Actually, I like the Canon better for model photos. Might be worth considering...got mine at Best Buy iirc.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot- ... B00908BQCY
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Gary. I'll check it out.....I just dropped 350 on an Apple watch for the wife (for Mother's Day), so .......
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

God I can't stand phone cameras, but then I can't stand smart phones either! Which is why I never replaced my Samsung back when it died in 2019 - I've been using an old £10 Nokia ever since with no regrets.

Sony, Canon, Nikon, you can't really go wrong with any of them these days for point and shoots - they all make really good ones. One piece of advice I would give is take a good look at the 2nd hand market and keep it under 18MP (I'm still sure you don't need more that 8-10MP for stills), you'll save a fortune.

What are you after, a compact or bridge style camera?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I’m with ya on hating smart phones! I’ve been looking at used items.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Lyle,

If it is possible to at least try using a decent smart phone as a camera, I would suggest you make the attempt. However, if you prefer using a dedicated camera, Sony makes great point and shoot cameras that will be very useful.

My preference is the tool at hand. Since I started posting on the forum I have exclusively used my iPhone. Like others mentioned (Carlos, Kari) it is possible to craft simple high quality close up images using a good smartphone.

With the iPhone, I am able to shoot, edit and publish my images all using the same platform. I have terrible eyesight and if I am able to see the menus, use the app to publish and cut and paste to the forum using one device than I suspect everyone can as well.

Again, I will be mindful of one caveat: I shoot Spam WIPs at 2K. I shoot professionally at 4K and above. Much higher resolution is not necessary here unless you intend to publish elsewhere.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, Bruce. I haven’t found much relating to the camera on this phone..I’ll need to dig around a bit more.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:Lyle,

... I shoot professionally at 4K and above. Much higher resolution is not necessary here unless you intend to publish elsewhere.
I bet you could shoot awesome photo's using a pin hole camera made from an old Pringles tube Bruce. :bow: The stuff you have on your Instagram is stunning.

Just out of pure camera geek interest, what do you shoot with professionally?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Free Discussion”