Bob Letterman

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Paul
Addicted Member

Bob Letterman

Post by Paul »

One of modelings giants, Bob Letterman, passed away quietly this past Monday after a long battle with lung cancer. Bob was quite the influence in modeling from his first contest in the 50's to his guidance at Verlinden. I got a chance to visit him about two years ago and was wowed by his collection of memorabilia from all corners of the globe. Bob served time in the army and naval reserve and retired from the St Louis police department as a homicide detective. Bob was a close friend of Louis Preneau (sp) and Shep Payne. His modeling style and his dioramas were world famous. Bob will be missed by this modeler.

God's speed, Bob.

https://greenlawnfuneralhome.com/obitua ... letterman/
Tojo72
Master Member

Re: Bob Letterman

Post by Tojo72 »

Yes,I saw that,very sad but a life well lived,I remember his huge Winds of War diorama in FSM,had to be in the mid 80's
Last edited by Tojo72 on Mon May 23, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, he certainly did legendary work in the hobby. I believe it was his “Twilight of the Third Republic” diorama that I saw in FSM that made me aware of who he was and his incredible talents. Sounds like he had a rich life truly well lived.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yes, I've seen this before. It is truly sad. I was thrilled that I had the honor and privilege to meet him at Chattanooga at the Nationals, and on the way home I got to stop in and tour his museum. We spent the next three to four hours just talking and he was a man who is so easy to talk to and always took an interest in everything you said. I was hoping for another opportunity to see him but certain circumstances kept that from ever happening.

Rest in Peace Bob, and my condolences to his wife and daughter. He will be sorely missed. .
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Free Discussion”