D Day

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Stikpusher

Re: D Day

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes it is a bit more nuanced. On June 5, 1944, Germany controlled all of Western Europe, asides from Spain & Portugal, half of Italy, and was still fairly deep into the Soviet Union. After the D-Day landings it took until the last part of July for the Allies to break out fo the Normandy beachhead and then another month or so to romp across France and reach the western German borders. At the same time the Red Army destroyed an equally large portion of the German army in the east, and pushed them back out of Soviet territory and to the frontiers of East Prussia and into several German allied states. From June 6 the war in Europe had a bit over 11 months left to rage, and so much more death and destruction to unleash before the guns fell silent.
Freedom as we know it, would only be west of the soon to come Iron Curtain. Much of the rest of Europe would languish under a different totalitarian dictator system.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Here’s what really bothered me unrelated to D-Day, June 6, 1944.

The way clueless folks are celebrating Memorial Day today. Sitting at home at night watching television and I see fireworks going off in my neighborhood. WTF?!?! Who shoots fireworks on Memorial Day? No doubt probably Bosnians or young families who lost all sense or have no clue of exactly what Memorial Day is about. Nowadays, they think it’s a party to kick off the summer season - not a day to remember those who sacrificed their lives during wartime. Sad really.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

As with most other holidays, it has been morphed into "just a day off" and a sales gimmick for retailers. I would venture a guess that 70% of people don't even know the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day anymore. .Heaven forbid our leaders used their bully pulpits for something useful, like some widespread PSA's around the each one, to explain their purposes and what one can do to observe them.
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"

Return to “Free Discussion”