Time to Watch Gettysburg

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Re: Time to Watch Gettysburg

Post by Glamdring »

There is a fantastic militaria museum in Gettysburg, I have never been there but my friend raved about it. The owner apparently bought Dick Winters' personal artifacts from his estate after his passing, and I assume has them on display now there.
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Glamdring wrote:The owner apparently bought Dick Winters' personal artifacts from his estate after his passing, and I assume has them on display now there.
I’m finding that hard to believe. What sort of personal artifacts from his estate after his passing? I’d think his immediate family - particularly his grandchildren would have possession first.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

BlackSheep214 wrote:
Glamdring wrote:The owner apparently bought Dick Winters' personal artifacts from his estate after his passing, and I assume has them on display now there.
I’m finding that hard to believe. What sort of personal artifacts from his estate after his passing? I’d think his immediate family - particularly his grandchildren would have possession first.
I heard he bought it off the family, directly or through an auction.

https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.c ... ollection/

They'd probably rather it goes to a museum open to the public than a wealthy collector's private stash, but it still cost him a pretty penny though. (according to an Airborne forces demonstrator who gave a lecture at my local historical society meeting last month)
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well, I’ll be damn....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Free Discussion”