Sushi and my grandson, Asher.

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
LyleW
Admin

Sushi and my grandson, Asher.

Post by LyleW »

Asher is 9. He was adopted from China in 2016 (i believe). Growing like a weed. Goofy as can be. But he does have ikssues. He apparently had a stroke in utero just before birth. That much was known. He litterally has 1/2 of a functioning brain. To look at him, you would never suspect anything. He looks and for the most part, acts, normal. There are, however, develoopmental issues as well as severe vision issues. He has partial vision in both eyes. Place your hand over the right half of your eyes so that you only see through the left half of each eye. That is what he is facing. . . and a few other things. He does see to get around and such, but reading and close work are strugles.

Even with these things, he is one amazing, smart, funny and loving young man who will eat pretty much anything. He loves, well, food. He likes the California roll sushi from Krogers. So we went and got some for him. Mom was taking his sister, Ella,, to Cincy for some doctor appointments (she has Spina Bifida), so we had him for a couple of days.

The boy is infatuated with busses. Busses of any kind. He had asked if I would get him a toy camper for his birthday. But, they found this little gem at Hobby Lobby getting me a birthday present. So, we started on it a day or two ago.

Looks like a Lego kit when you get it opened up. Forty-two or so pieces and some stickers. It kicked my butt. One side went completely as it should have and then the left side would not seat, snap, click into place and it would collapse. We stopped for a while. I may have to glue a piece or two to get it back on track.

I promised Asher we would finish this one and get another snap together kit to do. Well, "Testors" now Rustoleum enters the picture. I was looking for a replacement part. No joy, but Mark on the live chat offered up a UH-60 Blackhawk kit. "Sure", I said, "I don't have a Blackhawk kit." Well, Mark sent me one. It came yesterday.

Not at all what I was expecting, but it does save me a trijp to Hobby Lobby.

More as we progress through these.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Re: Sushi and my grandson, Asher.

Post by LyleW »

OH, as for the sushi?

He ate two 12 piece containers - one for supper on Wed evening and one for lunch yesterday...along with grapes, apples and watermelon and a chocolate chip cookie or three/four. I even got him to eat some raw vegies for lunch on Wed with some sliched ham.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Greg
Advanced Member
Location: Indiana - We're not just about corn fields (just mostly)

Post by Greg »

Sounds like a successful afternoon, Lyle. Good for both of you.

The VW kit looks cool. And challenging to paint, I'd think.

Sounds like if you keep some snacks nearby you're all set.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Sushi is an acquired taste but I’ve had them before. Funky taste but in a good way.

That’s great to hear you both spending some time together on a model kit and more.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I really get a kick out of stories like this Lyle. Good on y'all bro. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I'm a big sushi and sashimi fan. Sounds like a great kid despite his challenges. Hope he continues building models.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, all. I have five amazing grands! Oldest is getting married next May. The oldest grandson plays in 3-4bands, his younger sister is a hot mess and loves sports. Wants to be a doc, Asher’s big sister wants to bea doctor, too, I believe. Right now Asher still wants to be a school bus driver.

They are great kids!

I’m not sure Asher’s eyes will let him do close work, but we will give it a shot if he ants to continue with the hobby. So far he has been the chief “push it in place till it clicks” guy.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You’re a blessed man Lyle to have such joys in your life.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That, I am in so many ways.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

keavdog wrote:I'm a big sushi and sashimi fan. Sounds like a great kid despite his challenges. Hope he continues building models.
Ditto

Return to “Free Discussion”