On vacation in Ottawa, Canada

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

On vacation in Ottawa, Canada

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Spent my first day in Ottawa, Canada visiting the Canadian War Museum. Wow! Never saw a vast collection of armor and WW2 German armor/artillery of all sorts. Saw my first Panther tank and Panzer . Didn’t take pics due to my cell phone lost power. I know my son had taken pics and will post them on my return to the states. Stik - this is a Museum you definitely would enjoy especially with all the tanks. There is a Sherman tank that was used in the HBO series Band of Brothers. Incredible museum to visit. Spent a good 3 hours on Canadian military history from early history up to the present. Lots of Canadian “war trophies” from WW2.

Tomorrow, we’re going to the Canadian National History Museum and guided trolley ride (hop on hop off), Wednesday we’re going on the Ottawa Canal Cruise, Thursday is a travel day back to NY.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Jeeves
Master Member

Re: On vacation in Ottawa, Canada

Post by Jeeves »

Was there a few years back..loved that trip. My son and I sampled a different restaurant's poutine every day...there's an excellent brew pub right at the bridge before you get to that museum. We also visited a neat art museum with some very cool Monets and Van Goghs.
Mike
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

That sounds really good.Gotta get up there some day to see that.Have a good time.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I've been to Ottawa and the museum 3 times. Fantastic place. I'm not a big fan of cities. But Ottawa is different. It's clean for one thing
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Way too many panhandlers and homeless folks. Here's what we visited:

Canada War Museum - A must visit!!

Canada History Museum (suggested by my wife's brother) BOOOOOORING!!!! I'd rather had gone to the Natural History Museum instead. He told her it wasn't worth it. Gee,,,, it's been 20 years since he last went! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Canada Aviation Museum - another must visit!!!

Ottawa Hockey Arena on the way home Thursday after a stop at the Canadian Aviation Museum.

Canal Boat Cruise - a nice quiet relaxing, cruise.

Hop-on, Hop-off Bus Tour. - Nice to see other parts of Ottawa not walking distance.

Major Hill's Park - gorgeous.

Notre Dame Cathedral Bastilla - gorgeous and a plus side to the visit... just made it to their 2 pm first tour since the COVID pandemic.

Canada War Monument - Saw the changing of the guard and the tomb of the unknown soldier

Byward Market - 300 restaurants to choose from - too many to choose from.

We ate at:
The Grand Pizzeria & Bar - Monday night
Johnny Farina - Tuesday night
The Keg Steakhouse - Wednesday night

Parliament Hill - funny, the guide on the bus tour said it's the most hated building in Canada. I was tempted to blurt out "Can't be any worse than having Biden in the White House..." :bored: :bag: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :giggles:
I knew better not to say it without embarrassing the missus.

Downside -
Parking is expensive
Food is expensive
Lots of walking
Lots of One Way streets
A lot of traffic and crazy Canadian drivers. LOL!!

Other observations:

Yes, it is a very clean city - now they really need to take care of the homeless beggars in the city
Lots of beautiful parks
Very popular for biking everywhere.
Hotel was nice - breakfast is a battlefield to go thru. Seems like everybody likes to head down all at the same time. LOL!!!
Underground parking at the hotel - No worries of homeless folks breaking in cars if outside.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Sounds like there is plenty to do. Your observations could apply almost anywhere!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

There is so much to do in Ottawa, Lyle. Just got to decide what you want to do and plan it. There’s the Canadian Gallery of Art we opt not to go to. Had I stayed another day, we probably would have. Admission to museums varies - average - expensive in CAD. Wednesday night we took a ride on the other side of Ottawa to Rideau Hall but couldn’t find parking. So we ended up by another park and took a walk and a rest by the Rideau River. Peaceful and relaxing time.

A side note on Notre Dame Cathedral Bastilla church... there is a 3 year wait to get married there because it is a very popular church to have a wedding at. As the tour guide said Find a Mate then Set the Date. LOLOL!

BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I have been to Canada for my honeymoon just over 12 years ago. I really liked Ottawa, good food and nice museums. We rented some bikes and explored the city that way. That was really great because you cover much more ground then on foot but can easily stop at any given point.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Free Discussion”