1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post by jeaton01 »

Maybe you could add the remnants of a bird's nest? :mrgreen: Seriously, with all the complexity grabbing the eye it may not need anything else but maybe the smell of burnt oil. It looks real.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! That engine is incredible!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stunning work on that engine! It looks like it would run!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Honestly John I’d say leave the engine right at the point you’ve reached in weathering. If you’re asking what else that you could add, that’s a sign that you are right where you should be. It looks fantastic!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! I like all of the comments, especially about the bird's nest! I couldn't resist and added a few stains by spraying droplets of diluted black pastel wash over the engine. Most of the visible spots were wiped away but I kept some on the few lighter-colored components. A small touch but I think it is effective.

I am considering the engine complete and the next step will be to attach the engine to the nose.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That is awesome John! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

But remember, this is a British engine, so don't forget to put a drip tray under it when you put your model on the shelf! :grin:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Stuart wrote:That is awesome John! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

But remember, this is a British engine, so don't forget to put a drip tray under it when you put your model on the shelf! :grin:
Drip tray installed! It is located between the engine and the chin intake...

In other words, the engine assembly has been glued to the nose. I used JB Kwik Weld.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That engine looks real! I was cruising around watching videos and came across this one.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Ok... the engine is secured on the nose. One last test fit before I glue the nose onto the fuselage.

Because of the potential steps and gaps, I'm going to attack this one side at a time. After the bottom joint was welded with Tamiya Extra Thin cement, I applied glue to the port fuselage joint and used a clamp to reduce the step as much as possible. No glue has been applied to the starboard fuselage joint yet.

After a few hours, the clamp was removed to see if the joint held and it looks like it has. Still I'm going to wait overnight to apply glue to the starboard joint. But she looks good enough for a session in the light box.

Here is the port fuselage joint. There is still some work to do but the majority of that nasty step has been removed thanks to the use of the clamp.

The other side, without glue yet, has less of a step problem but a bigger gap. It actually looks bigger in person than in the pics.

The shape of the Tempest fighter finally takes form!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That's a big milestone John. Nice work on the port joint. Gaps are easier to deal with than steps. Again - motor looks fantastic.
Thanks,
John

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”