Williams Brothers Curtis C-46 Commando

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Williams Brothers Curtis C-46 Commando

Post by LyleW »

jeaton01 wrote:Lyle, my favorite canopy glue is Formula 560, we use it for canopies on R/C airplanes.
I remember you said that. Went looking for it and could not find it. Seems it is no longer made? Anyway, foun an “equivalent” product from Zap.and a bottle of some other stuff an r/c site liked...”something” 6000, I think.

I don’t know how I’ll be able to mask the vac form, but some bizarre stuff is coming to mind!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Apparently, Williams Brothers finally folded. Their web site seems to indicate otherwise, but it also indicates they (he) was hanging on by a thread. I thought I would tempt fate and see if they had any windscreen pieces for the C-46 and no response after a week or so. Not terribly uncommon, though.

Do any of you folks have the kit pieces in your spares box you would be willing to part with? I'll gladly pay a fee.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:Apparently, Williams Brothers finally folded. Their web site seems to indicate otherwise, but it also indicates they (he) was hanging on by a thread. I thought I would tempt fate and see if they had any windscreen pieces for the C-46 and no response after a week or so. Not terribly uncommon, though.

Do any of you folks have the kit pieces in your spares box you would be willing to part with? I'll gladly pay a fee.
If I had, they'd be yours for free Lyle, but alas not.

It's a shame they've folded if they have, it's always sad to see a modelling company go. It's a surprise to me that the C-46 has never had a mainstream kit

edit: there is this vacform canopy on ebay for only a few quid, the seller is actually in the US so the shipping would be cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284718015292 ... Sw-PJbdFNO
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stuart wrote:
LyleW wrote:Apparently, Williams Brothers finally folded. Their web site seems to indicate otherwise, but it also indicates they (he) was hanging on by a thread. I thought I would tempt fate and see if they had any windscreen pieces for the C-46 and no response after a week or so. Not terribly uncommon, though.

If I had, they'd be yours for free Lyle, but alas not.

It's a shame they've folded if they have, it's always sad to see a modelling company go. It's a surprise to me that the C-46 has never had a mainstream kit

edit: there is this vacform canopy on ebay for only a few quid, the seller is actually in the US so the shipping would be cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284718015292 ... Sw-PJbdFNO
Yes, there are vac canopies, I have two of the Squadron brand. They don’t fit any better. I have wondered why no one has done a C-46, too.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Man that looks like a mess. Sorry to hear you're having problems with the canopy.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Medicman71 wrote:Man that looks like a mess. Sorry to hear you're having problems with the canopy.
Some of it is my fault. Got the windscreens back in the fuselage this morning. They don’t look too bad (except for the glued crack) considering I took all the old poorly done frames on the windscreens and polished them out... pic when I can.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This new camea has wi-fi. it will not connect with my computer. So, waiting for a cable. I then realized that the computer has an SD card readerr, duh.....

Won't bore you with all the gore. Well, maybe not.

This is where we started. Winscreen pretty much polished and glued into place with Zap Formula 560 canopy glue.

Got it closed up and filled the center seam with the same canopy glue. I will probably do some addition polishing on this. What could go wrong, right? I have washed it to remove the excess. I am wondering about using some putty to further fill that seam.

Started putzing around with the wing fit. Added some shims. Back 2/3 is one thickness and the front 1/3 is a bit thinner.

I think they will work out.

The fuselaage is glued up from nose to about 2" past the cockpit. I'll workk any steps out and fill with some Bondo, sand and pollish.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Yikes! It looks like this kit is going to continue to fight you to the end. Bravo on continuing on after the cracked clear part... I don't think I could've worked past that.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Wow that looks like a lot of work Lyle! Get'er done.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks,. Really, nothing to lose by keeping after it. If any of you guys that have built this and used a vacuformed canopy, I’d like to get the kit parts.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”