Cessna T50 1/48 Squadron "Encore"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Cessna T50 1/48 Squadron "Encore"

Post by LyleW »

portman wrote:Was it the kit, or was it the sushi and BBQ chips?
No, don’t think so. That all came out some days ago. I think. What ultimately was a childish move, happened to a kit that I do not believe could be salvaged. Paint was messed up by the windscreen fit. Side windows all fouled. It’s ultimate demise as mostly my fault. That’s pretty hard to admit.

There was no way o get the clear sprue. I liked how the paint and decals looked.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Been there, done that many times in youth years and not too long ago on the MiG 21. Take a deep breath, relax, come back with something new.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:
portman wrote:Was it the kit, or was it the sushi and BBQ chips?
No, don’t think so. That all came out some days ago. I think. What ultimately was a childish move, happened to a kit that I do not believe could be salvaged. Paint was messed up by the windscreen fit. Side windows all fouled. It’s ultimate demise as mostly my fault. That’s pretty hard to admit.

There was no way o get the clear sprue. I liked how the paint and decals looked.
Sometimes my man, things are just going to go to shit and there's bugger all we can do about it.

I really wouldn't give it more thought. I've scrapped loads of kits over the years, even ones that were OK but I just hadn't touched for so long I'd lost interest. The way I see it these days, not all kits are going to get built - some will stay in boxes for ever and a lot are going to end up in the bin. As long as you take something away from it, e.g. I'm never buying a POS short run kit again - then it's served it's purpose. If you liked the paint and decals, then at least remember why you liked them and how you got them there so you can apply it to your next build if you wish - then again, it's served it purpose.

Likewise if you build another bobcat - you know now what to expect and can plan for it. If you have two more of them I'd use the best of both to make one.

As I said before, you're a brave man for starting it in the first place. I can 100% guarantee you that if I'd been building it it would have ended up under the flak hammer as well.

Hell sometimes I've rather enjoyed smashing the crap out of a kit that's been killing me - it's good stress relief.

But forget it and move on - build something else and have fun, don't stress about it.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Tom, Stuart...great words and thoughts. Thanks!

In the light of a new morning (Hmm. Sounds like a song lyric.) and after breakfast (yogurt, honey, banana, strawberries and blueberries) I’m sitting on the couch, coffee at hand and goog ol Dusty glued to my hip. Life is wonderful! My favorite time of the day.

There will be another Bobcat. Having made it to about 80% 90% on this one there were many lessons learned. I just have to figure out how not to screw up the clear parts. I’ve not had great luck with the stuff made for that.

Onward. Upward. Pass gas!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I support you on the hammer, Lyle. Sometimes a kit/build needs to be scrapped. Not the same thing but when I find a sock with a small hole, I put my index fingers in the hole and pull... make the hole really big so that I'm forced to throw it away. Maybe you were thinking along those lines. You wanted to stop and you wanted to eliminate any possibility of the model calling you back to waste more time on it.

There is always the next project!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

The next one is started.I am a glutton for punishment. As I said, having screwed up the clear parts, all of them...it was unsalvageable to me. But, I learned a lot so there is that. Thanks for the support!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Another one!?!?! Good show!

and I found a dio idea for the first... :tease:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Oh no, not another Bobcat. Something else. Not ready to take that on just yet. Mine was in too many pieces.....it is funny that they have the starboard engine covered in a warming blanket.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Whew! pleased to hear that!

:hmm: I see what you mean - not sure why they'd bother to do that, unless it's an easy fix and they're planning on flying it out!

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I can say for one thing; I've never smashed and/or thrown out a kit. I guess that's why I have almost all my 1500+ models still in my room. LOL! :bag: I could just never bring myself to do such a thing, especially after I worked so hard on it. Same goes for BB guns and firecrackers.... never happened to any of mine. I've only thrown one model in frustration, but I did manage to fix and finish it later: it was the 737. I get my stress relief by walking away and doing something else physical so I don't engage in anything destructive like that. Then I work on other models and get them finished while letting the frustrating one languish for a bit until I'm ready to face it again.

Lyle, I'm looking forward to seeing the new model you started. I do hope it's an easier one that will allow you to finish it.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”