1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post by Medicman71 »

Ok, now you're just showing off. :giggles: Excellent fix!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Pretty pleased at not only the results of the paint repair but how straightforward it was to implement. When first confronted with this issue, my mind started turning over options in my head and the idea of using masks to cover the existing markings came immediately to mind. The Portrait craft cutter is such a handy tool and it makes things like this fairly simple to do.

After the re-painted Ocean Grey area on the port side had dried, I re-painted the JJ code.

I also put the walkways through another round of salt chipping. The walkways look better but the masks lifted some paint, most notably on the starboard side so I'll have to retouch some areas. Two steps forward and one step back means I'm moving ahead right?

Another view of the port side markings. I've also performed some touch-up repairs to the fuselage roundels as well as re-spraying the red on the port fin flash.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I feel your pain with the two steps back gig John but your efforts are slowly paying off. This is the first time I've heard of this Portrait Cutter so I decided to look it up and check it out. WOW!! I may have to get me one of these things!!!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

mustang1989 wrote:I feel your pain with the two steps back gig John but your efforts are slowly paying off. This is the first time I've heard of this Portrait Cutter so I decided to look it up and check it out. WOW!! I may have to get me one of these things!!!
Had one for years, several do. I am a raw rookie compared to those that use it with CAD (Keaton, Floki and others).
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

mustang1989 wrote:I feel your pain with the two steps back gig John but your efforts are slowly paying off. This is the first time I've heard of this Portrait Cutter so I decided to look it up and check it out. WOW!! I may have to get me one of these things!!!
Get one! You will love it
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That's it, time for me to quit! I cannot ever succeed like this in any fix; I haven't the skills or talent. Any attempt I would make would be only half as good as the original. You are a Masterful magician!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! After the paint fix, I decided to do a little bit of the post-shading now, concentrating on the bottom. I use very dilute blackish brown mixes that are sprayed along panel lines and random streaks.

The model is sealed with a gloss coat (Alclad Aqua Gloss) to prepare for the next step, which is decaling. Actually, they are wet transfers from HGW but very similar to decals.

After cutting out the appropriate marking from the sheet, it is applied just like a decal: dip it in warm water to loosen the backing paper and slide it into place. A drop of Mark Setter goes onto the model before the decal and will act as an adhesive. No decal softener is needed... just blot out the bubbles and dry any excess moisture.

Allow this to dry for a few hours. Instructions say 6-8 hours but I've gotten good results after only a couple of hours. You can see the shiny carrier film in the above pic right? This is what differentiates a wet transfer from a decal. That carrier film is carefully removed, leaving ONLY the marking with absolutely zero decal film.

The Tempest doesn't have too many stencils so doing the bottom didn't take very long. The transfers are numbered in the same way as the kit instructions. This is handy because the drawings in the kit instructions are in color, making the identification of the smaller markings much easier.

I tested the wet transfers on the flaps, which have a flat finish, and they worked fine.

I mixed up a small batch of grey wash using pastel chalk and water to test (a) the color of the wash and (b) if the wash could be applied to the wet transfers without any ill effects.

Seemed to be ok on both counts so I applied the grey wash to the entire bottom.

Taking a pause here to touch-up some panel lines and rivets before I continue on the top side.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

The HGW wet transfers have been applied on the top side.

I used a few different colored washes on the top side. A medium grey for the Ocean Grey and Sky backgrounds, a very dark grey for the Dark Green color and a light grey for the dark blue on the roundels. I want to highlight the rivets but not to the point of distraction.

Another pause here as I am almost ready for a flat coat. I need to check the wash carefully to make sure that there are no residual stains because the next clear coat will lock everything into place.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

so outstanding John, so outstanding!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Having just caught up with this over the last five or six pages... all I can say is wow! A painting masterclass indeed John, that repair you did on the d-day stripes was excellent!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”