1/48 Tamiya F-14A Jolly Rogers

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Tamiya F-14A Jolly Rogers

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! The oleos were painted with Alclad Chrome and masked off prior to painting the rest of the nose gear.

I just got back from a visit to the Bay area to congratulate one daughter from graduating from Davis and bring another daughter home from Berkeley. We're having a pretty busy summer so I don't have as much modeling time as I would like. I'll try to get back on this build as soon as I can!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

You should have stopped by, John. I'm in Woodland.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

jeaton01 wrote:You should have stopped by, John. I'm in Woodland.
Wow, that's really close to where we were! I enjoy visiting my daughter in Davis... Berkeley a little less so!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Glad to see that you chipped away at it a little more and that you had a great time on your fishing trip. Man I'll tell ya......after my bathroom and truck renovations / upgrades I'm going to have to get tha hell away from the house for a bit. Would love to have some real fun like that.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Very nice work on the nosegear and doors. I'd like to see a video on how you did the red door edges - they look fantastic. And nice looking Bass!
Thanks,
John
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

jkim wrote: The nose landing gear has been painted and weathered...
This is just so deliciously good looking!

How did you actually paint the chrome or is it metal folie ? The shine & realism is oustanding!

I will use these pictures as inspiration for my upcoming F.4 builds gears

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Yet another stunning build, I love the detail !!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

mustang1989 wrote:Glad to see that you chipped away at it a little more and that you had a great time on your fishing trip. Man I'll tell ya......after my bathroom and truck renovations / upgrades I'm going to have to get tha hell away from the house for a bit. Would love to have some real fun like that.
Thanks man! It looks like life is continuing to interfere with my modeling activities. Health issues with the mother-in-law, adjusting to having the oldest daughter back at home and I had to replace my car which died at 188k miles... all keeping me busy and not letting me get back on the modeling bench just yet.

keavdog wrote:Very nice work on the nosegear and doors. I'd like to see a video on how you did the red door edges - they look fantastic. And nice looking Bass!
I just masked off one edge at a time. Since I had multiple doors, I masked off an edge on each of the doors, sprayed em red and then removed the masks to paint another edge. It sounds like more work but I think I save time by not having to mess with masking corners

KSaarni wrote: This is just so deliciously good looking!

How did you actually paint the chrome or is it metal folie ? The shine & realism is oustanding!

I will use these pictures as inspiration for my upcoming F.4 builds gears

- Kari
Thanks Kari! The shiny oleo is just my standard Alclad Chrome over gloss black. The key is to let both the black and Chrome cure completely before proceeding to the next step. The black is Tamiya acrylic thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner which I let dry for at least 2-3 hours. The Alclad Chrome is a lacquer so I like to let that dry overnight before masking. If you rush it, the metal finish can come off with the masking tape.

Handiabled wrote:Yet another stunning build, I love the detail !!
Thanks Brent! Like I touched upon before, I haven't been able to build recently.

I'm at a bit of crossroads when it comes to this particular build. Not wanting to mess with the wiring in the main landing gear bays. Similar situation with the Special Hobby Tempest build. Currently lacking mojo and am contemplating starting a new project to jump-start my motivation. You guys will be the first to know what I end up doing!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

jkim wrote: Thanks Kari! The shiny oleo is just my standard Alclad Chrome over gloss black. The key is to let both the black and Chrome cure completely before proceeding to the next step. The black is Tamiya acrylic thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner which I let dry for at least 2-3 hours. The Alclad Chrome is a lacquer so I like to let that dry overnight before masking. If you rush it, the metal finish can come off with the masking tape.
Many thanks John for the answer and advice!
Patience is really one important key, not to hurry too much with curing times!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Hope all is going alright with you John. Hang in there brother and looking forward to your return.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”