Heinkel He 100: Intercontinental Friendship Model Shop Pt.1

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Heinkel He 100: Intercontinental Friendship Model Shop Pt.1

Post by speedgraflex »

Origin

The He 100 began life as "Projekt 1035,” after Heinkel engineers pushed the He 112 product to its evolutionary end. Versions of this fighter served in limited capacity with the Luftwaffe as well as the Spanish, Hungarian and Romanian air services.

Design

The He 100 design featured a rounded, streamlined fuselage, cockpit set over midships and tapered empennage terminating at the single, low-profile vertical fin. Horizontal tailplanes were positioned low along the fin. The wing mainplanes were mounted slightly ahead of midships with straight leading edges and tapered trailing edges and rounded wing tips. Ground running was accomplished via a traditional tail-dragger undercarriage involving a pair of main legs and tail wheel. The pilot sat under a framed canopy with raised dorsal spine behind, offering greater internal volume for fuel and other equipment.

1939 World Speed Record

Twelve prototypes were built. The aircraft was very fast: a modified version won the absolute world speed record of 463.919 mph (746.606 km/h) in March 1939.

Specifications

Length: 26.10 feet
Span: 30.9 feet
Height: 11.9 feet
Empty weight: 4,000 lbs
MTOW: 5,500 lbs
Armament: 1x 20mm MG FF automatic cannon and 2x 7.92mm MG 17 machine guns
Power: Daimler-Benz DB601M liquid-cooled V12 inline piston engine
Max speed: 420 mph
Cruising speed: 345 mph
Range: 630 miles
Service ceiling: 36,000 feet

Propaganda

The He 100 fighter was the featured subject under the "He 113" propaganda program created by the Third Reich in the run-up to World War II, appearing in staged action photoshoots showcasing German ingenuity with the latest in military fighter development. Some­body got the bright idea of using Heinkel’s dozen prototypes to stage a substantial piece of tomfoolery - probably not Propaganda Minister Goebbels himself, but one of his underlings took charge of this. He arranged the factory’s He 100s and painted them as fully operational Luftwaffe fighters, adding phony squadron nose art, national insignia and big numbers on the fuselages.

The He 113 photos were published in German newspapers and the official Luftwaffe magazine, “Der Adler,” leading civilians to believe their air force had a potent new weapon. According to one report, the mythical fighter even made an appearance at Pearl Harbor. On December 7, 1941, intelligence officer Lt. Col. T.H. Davies sent a message, “One plane brought down in the south sector was identified as a German made Heinkel 113.”

Intercontinental Friendship Model Shop Pt.1

This name was created by Marius and I as a working title for our project builds. He will be building the Revell (ex-Lindberg) in 1/72 and I will be building the Lindberg kit (original tooling from 1965) in 1/72.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Re: Heinkel He 100: Intercontinental Friendship Model Shop P

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

Here I am in the project and I wanna start with some words regarding the kits.

Both kits are off the same mold and to be honest it is a very poor base. Sure it would have been more easy to go with the much much better MPM / Special Hobby kit. For more easy you don't need to do such a Intercontinental project - LOL.
Our goal is to get the most of the kit. There are several big issues to solve, we will go more into details when it is time for that.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

This should be some very interesting builds!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

BRUCE !!! You have been missed. Interesting history on the Heinkel 110.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Great choice of subject! Still waiting for a decent kit in quarterscale, though.
Looking forward what the magnificent Marius / Bruce combo will do with it.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very interesting! Can't wait to see you build!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Save me some popcorn, Carlos, if possible! I am thinking about what Marius wrote about approach to subject, and in particular the vectors we will take to develop a proper model from an old kit. I am going to take photos in a few minutes of the sprues. Clint, thank you so much, and Tom, thank you equally as much. I have missed everyone here, but I needed the time for personal reasons. I truly appreciate everyone active on SPAM even more so since being away. Torben! Hopefully we won’t disappoint you and Mike, likewise, thank you so much for stopping by.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

We are talking here about a very old kit, a Lindberg kit. There are a lot of inaccuracies. That's ok for me beside the biggest issue with the missing side windows at the rear of the canopy.

I want to fix that by replacing the section with a spare part taken from an Hobby Boss Hurricane. Dimensions should match. I want to cut out the kit section and implement the Hurri-canopy. Getting that into shape and mask the windows.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”