British phantom FGR.2 "Firebirds"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: British phantom FGR.2 "Firebirds"

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:
Stuart wrote:Confession time - I've never actually built an F-4, well not to the extent that I finished one anyway! I'd really like to get an 80's F-4E or G as part of my USAFE collection.
:shocked: No Phantoms either?! Boy, we need to get you straightened out double quick! :ballbat:
Stik, he drives on the wrong side of the road, for Heaven's sake.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

True…and he probably throws in a lot of unnecessary “U”s after “O”s when spelling certain words… :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yeah, that, too. But he is a keeper! Good bloke.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

She's all buttoned up!!

The Sparrow missiles... I tried painting the stripes on one of them and it was a disaster due to paint seepage under the tape. Wiped off the stripes while they were still wet, shot a coat of flat white for a do over. This time I was thinking decal stripes in black and yellow. Luckily, I found some from my 1/72 scale Hobby Boss Viper kit that aren't being used. They will get a coat of clear tomorrow to seal it in. Much better than painting them.

The tips were painted using Mission Model Light Gull Grey. Their Light Gull Grey are lighter than Testors Model Masters Light Gull Grey.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Coming along very nicely!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh boy did I screw up. let me rephrase that ... I f***ed up... I really f***ed up.

Here's the part...

Look at Step 4 where that part (part # 47) is suppose to go...

Now let's go back to Step 3.....

I completely forget to cut the hole for it. :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

I mean come on Fujimi!! The least you could have done was had it already cut out!!

Now what am I to do? The fuselage is already buttoned up and I had just glued the main wings on... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

The only option to fix this is find a really bright LED lighting and shine it from underneath the tail rudder hoping to see sort of a score marks where I'm to cut open. Drill slowly and carefully with micro drill bits. I don't know. Or I can leave it out which I prefer not to. Any advice?

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I would cut the part in two and remove the center part that would be inside the fin. Make yourself a paper template of the fin from the painting diagram and make a pencil line on both sides where it should be and butt glue it on with Tenax or CA. That antenna seems to be unique to the FGR.2, there are FG.1 photos that don't have it, that's probably why there is no hole outside the fin.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Like John said it will probably be easier to buttjoin it then try and cut it out. But the way you mentioned sounds as good as any idea I would have to cut it out.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That is a possibility. Question is finding the exact location to butt glue each piece. My go-to CA as of late has been Gorilla glue.Dries a whole lot faster and hardens better as it holds.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, that kinda sucks. I know your pain. I suppose you could do the light thing and mark it. I wonder if you gently heated the fin if the cut area would be more visible? Can you take some measurements from the instructions to help?

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”