British phantom FGR.2 "Firebirds"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: British Phantom FGR.2 "Firebirds"

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I need a little help. This kit comes with I believe are SUU-7A/A (I have 4, 2 per rack). The instruction guide designated them as silver with flat black tips. I’m having a hard time finding images of them in color to get an idea of what color they’re really are. I had assumed they were white. Help! :whiteflag:
Last edited by BlackSheep214 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: British phantom FGR.2 "Firebirds"

Post by Stikpusher »

Show a picture of the kit item in question Tom. Your word description of the items makes me think of the Sidewinder missile rails, which I believe are in the LAU family, and not SUU.

EDIT- I went and had a look at the SUU-7, The pods you’re looking at are probably Matra 155 SNEB 68mm rocket pods. Pointy end faces to the front. Depending upon the time frame the pod itself can be bare metal, RAF aircraft gray, or RAF dark green, with the nose are black or darker bare metal.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Carlos, these are what I'm referring to. They look like SUU-7A/A

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I did another search using "Matra 155 SNEB 68mm rocket pods" and found what I'm looking for. Those are it! Thank you!! Now I something to work with in painting them.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thanks to Carlos for identifying the rocket pod in question and colors they usually are (Matra 155 SNEB 68mm rocket pods), they are all painted up. I used Dark Andonic Grey metallizer lacquer as base coat then brushed Non-Buffing Aluminum Metallizer lacquer over it to give it a worn look. The tips are painted Gunmetal instead of flat black. I think they came out quite better than I expected.

Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

They came out looking really good
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Not much of an update but the bang seats and "office" is done! I was using the decals for the cockpit control panels and instrument panels but didn't like them at all. Too fake looking. So I painted it and used a silver pencil to bring out the levers. Much better...

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That looks good Tom. I’m with you about side console decals. Painted raised details look much better.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’m actually enjoying building the Phantom now than when I was in my teen years. Maybe it’s because it’s such an icon gunfighter. I found a couple Turkish NATO scheme. This time I want to do the Wild Weasel Phantom in 1/48 scale. Hell, I want to do a couple more. Who says there’s never enough Phantoms in their stash? :lashed:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

In US service it served from the Cuban Missile Crisis to just before 9/11. It served around the world in the airspace over every continent and all the oceans, in the colors of so many nations, in war and peace. Kind of hard to top that record.

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”