Italeri Mirage F1C

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Italeri Mirage F1C

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Some updates from the last few days since my son's graduation from high school.

First up, sponge pieces in main wheel wells prior to primer and paint...

Cut up a nice piece of sponge piece in half to cover the front strut assembly. Taped them up to hold in place prior to primer and paint...

Underside primed then painted using Pollyscale TAC Light Grey FS36622.

Nose painted Flat Black last night...

The last couple nights, I worked on painting the center belly tank. I used Aeromaster's Finland ID Yellow, the belly tank fins Gunze Red FS11302, decals done last night and gloss clearcoated to seal it all in. Syhart decals are thin and lays down really nice. Images very sharp and crisp. I like them.

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Looking good !

Interesting to know that there is a color called Finland ID yellow ! :-D

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Actually it’s part of Aeromaster Warbirds acrylic line. Finland WW2 color.

Scroll down towards the bottom and you will see the list.

https://ninetalis.com/reviews/decals/ae ... p-51-23fg/

I still have a few Aeromaster acrylics and other brands (Badger, Pollyscale, Pollyscale Railroad colors) given to me by Rex quite some years back when we met up at a local McDonald’s in my area before he passed away. He was passing through Utica on his way somewhere I couldn’t recall where back then. It was great to meet him and his wife. Very nice people and he was very knowledgeable on various aircraft subjects. I’ll never forget that meeting. He was one of the nicest guys around.
Last edited by BlackSheep214 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Tom, you've got this one going great. I love the F.1; I think it's the most handsome Mirage type. I was going to post a link to my Italeri F.1 but I guess I've never posted it here. So, here's a pic or two for now, and I hope you don't mind if I put her up in Finished Builds. It might give you some ideas. :grin:

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Not at all. That’s a nice Mirage and I love the Confederate “what if” scheme.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary, I’ve always love your “real” CAF schemes! They are sweet!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thank you Tom and Carlos.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Beautiful job Blacksheep! Those Pollyscale paints are the best!

Gary that is brilliant! I love it!

How many other Confederate States aircraft have you done? You should post a thread showing them all.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks sincerely Duke. That's the only CSAF aircraft I've built. I still have a lot of the decals we made for that Mirage though. My son and I did several others of the different maritime air stations, different squadron names and some of the naval jack too seen on the fin, as well as a lot more of the low-viz crosses and CSAF decals.

It started off as just a thought exercise that developed into the model idea. I think some viewers on various model forums have attempted to ascribe some sort of political expression in doing a Confederate plane. That is most definitely not what I had in mind. :sad:

I think it's embarrassing that my home state of Texas did join the CSA. Sam Houston, who by 1861 had already been a twice elected president of the short-lived Republic of Texas, a US senator from Texas and the sitting Texas governor at that time, urged against secession and correctly predicted the folly and tragic outcome of Texas joining the Confederacy. He resigned that office rather than swear an oath to the CSA, dying in 1863, before seeing his dire predictions come true. Houston is the only American than I'm aware of who was a member of the US Congress representing two different states, the victorious Commanding General of an army, the governor of two different states as well as the president of an independent republic. Quite a life indeed. :grin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houston
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Duke Maddog wrote:Beautiful job Blacksheep! Those Pollyscale paints are the best!
I know! I should have grabbed whatever Pollyscale the only and last LHS in my area had left prior to the owner retiring and closing the store for good. Should have grabbed a few Gunze / Mr.Color paints as well.

I wish someone would restart and produce Polly Scale again now that Testors Model Master are no more. I do realize Polly Scale was part of Testors line and Rustoleum ceased production of Testors Model Masters paints as well. But by golly, the least Rustoleum or even another hobby paint company should do is produce Polly Scale acrylics using the original Polly Scale formula again. One can only wish it would happen I’m not holding my breath waiting.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”