Airfix 1/72nd Victor K.2 Op Black Buck

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Airfix 1/72nd Victor K.2 Op Black Buck

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:I like this a/c a lot. The Revell kit kicked my butt and went in the trash. Eager to see this done properly.
Yep - same goes for my Matchbox kit.

Good to see this one being build Bish!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks guys. I have heard some stories about the Matchbox/Revell kit. Glad i hung out for this one.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I think I built that Matchbox kit and I don't recall any issues with it when I was building it. Maybe that's because I'm mistaken about the maker but I don't know for sure.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

I have heard there are issues with dealing with the seams in the intakes. And i believe the vains are molded attached to the top and bottom which leaves a seam in the middle.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Okay, I guess I remember someone mentioning that so I took steps to make sure they were dealt with. It sure didn't seem like quite the hassle that everyone said it was, or my memory is too faded to recall.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Made qute a bit of progress on the Victor over the last couple of weks. Got the interior all together and ready to fit.

And got that into the fuselage alogn with the forward landing gear.

And then the fuselage closed up without to many issues.

As you can see, i have added the cover over the bomb bay. This is sooner than the instructions indicate and may have been an error.

I started on the intakes and it looks as though thise has been designed in a way to ease cleaning upseams and painting. The opening in the sides has a panel that goes over it late, and i did that after painting.

I painted the veins before fitting, once everything was dry, they were fitted and the side panels added.

But that did not make sense to me, i was looking in the instructions for a point where that part was re-attached. Fortunatly this was cleared up on Brit Modeller. This seems to have been an error on the original bomber kit that Airfix have not correct. The correct procedure is to sand down the ridge on the outer fairing and remove part of the inner one thats attached to the bottom wing secion, so you are left with this.

I think think others have found this out the hard way, so i am grateful for it being passed on.

With the wings on all all the panels and flaps fitted i also got the tail on, this beast is really coming together.

You can see that quite a bit of filler was needed along the wing/fuselage join. I believe this was caused by me adding the doors to the bomb bay to early. I had not noticed at the time, but the door overlaps the bay along the middle, and this is where the gap is. Without the doors, the fuselage could have been pressed out to meet the wing and once in place the doors would have fitted better. By the time i realised it was to late. That wil teach me for thinking i know better and jumping through the instructions.

Thats all for now. Still a bit more to do before she hits the spray booth (assuming she fits). But at least now i can meassure up the board and start getting that together.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

She’s a beast! I’ve always wanted to do the Victor.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Coming along nicely Bish. Pretty complicated intake/exhaust work. Pit/workstations look great.
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Man that's a big one!! Very nice!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

WOW - that is a VAST improvement over the old Matchbox kit. Very nice progress Bish, that interior looks great!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”