Special request build, 1/48 La-5

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: Special request build, 1/48 La-5

Post by speedgraflex »

Beautiful work! A wonderful camo! I’ll look for Testors steel - us this one of the square bottle enamels? I’m not going to simply assume how you did the camo, so I am going to ask, comrade to comrade, was this sable brush or air brush or something else?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:Beautiful work! A wonderful camo! I’ll look for Testors steel - us this one of the square bottle enamels? I’m not going to simply assume how you did the camo, so I am going to ask, comrade to comrade, was this sable brush or air brush or something else?
Thanks Bruce. Yes, Testors Steel is the one sold in the little square 1/4 oz bottles. I used red sable brushes to apply the paints. Top colors are Polly Scale, and a bit old & thick. I thinned with distilled water and had to do two coats of each color. The underside is Humbrol enamel and also was applied in two thinned coats.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks great. You brush painting voodoo people... can't figure that out.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It’s definitely a perishable skill. We all grew up with it, but I sure haven’t kept current with hand brushing any aircraft builds. And it sure does seem to take more effort than before.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Cool!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:
keavdog wrote:Looks great. You brush painting voodoo people... can't figure that out.
It’s definitely a perishable skill. We all grew up with it, but I sure haven’t kept current with hand brushing any aircraft builds. And it sure does seem to take more effort than before.
It's not easy, that's for sure. I'm still struggle with it and I've never done anything else.

You've managed a top notch job on that though Carlos - it looks excellent!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Splendid progress and result Carlos! :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary and Stuart, thank you. I’ll have the decals on in a few hours. We shall see how that goes.

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Decals are now on. So many to apply… all 10 of them… lol! 6 Red stars, 2 Bort numbers, and the “boosted” stencils on the cowling. Amazingly the Hobbycraft decals worked very well!

Just gotta add the final bits, do a sealing top coat, and this will be all finished…

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well done. The bureau grants you two liters of vodka and a bushel of wheat.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”