Special request build, 1/48 La-5

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Special request build, 1/48 La-5

Post by Stikpusher »

So last night I received a special request via my brother in law from his grandson, my great nephew, that he would like another plane from Uncle Carlos. I have given him several of of my older builds, and also you may recall the Monogram Hurricane that I built for him a few years back. Now how can I say no to such a lad? The only problem was, I only have a few days to get it done before our next trip to visit, so the build has to be quick and simple. After mulling over my stash last nite, I settled on this baby

I’m going old school and high speed, so no add-ons, just straight OOB. I’ve built the related La-7 kit years ago and recall it is simple and straight forward, if somewhat inaccurate kit. So no real surprises or speed bumps should delay this.

Besides, this gives me an excuse to get the newer & better Zvezda 1/48 La-5 FN…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Special request build, 1/48 La-5

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool! Can't wait to see the build.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It’s gonna be very throwback style. Whatever I can do to keep the process moving quickly. Hand brush painted, etc. Not quite like I did as a kid, but not my usual current style. I’ll start here shortly.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Hey, this is cool! A great gift it will be too Carlos. I just walked in the study and checked, I've got the HC La-7 in the stash. Maybe the La-5 will go together in a similar manner as the -7 you built. I'll be watching this with great interest! :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

They are essentially the same kit, having the parts for both types on the sprues. And that is the root of the minor inaccuracies. No biggy though. They’re fun kits.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very cool Carlos!

What paints will you be brush painting it with?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart I have some Aeromaster acrylics for the topside colors, and I’m going to use either Polly S or Humbrol enamel for the underside color. Decisions, decisions…. :hmm:

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

My progress so far…

Built the cockpit and painted the base colors. Just gonna dry brush the instruments and then install it. No washes or weathering…

And few of the sub assemblies that I can do so far- the main landing gear struts and the cowl & prop assemblies…

more to come later on…

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

LA-7 looks a little different :giggles:
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”