1/32 Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden 352nd NAG

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
lawdog114
Master Member

1/32 Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden 352nd NAG

Post by lawdog114 »

Hello, I thought I'd share my latest experiment which is still in progress. I continue to experiment with chipping using a mix of the hairspray and liquid frisket technique(s). I chose the 1/32 Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden "Jack" as my Guinea Pig so to speak. The Raiden was apparently designed as a bomber interceptor but struggled getting up to the B-29's operational altitude, so it was given heavy cannons to compensate. It's my understanding it was only moderately successfully in this endeavor as the Ki-44 and Ki-84 fared better. Either way, it was still a neat looking machine and was apparently designed by the same guy who designed the Zero.

I'm going with the box art 352nd machine with the lightning bolts. It was flown by Yoshihiro Aoki in March of 1945. My research revealed he only had two confirmed kills in October 1944 but there were perhaps more. The lightning bolts were reportedly for boosting moral in defense of the homeland.

It's nice to be back in the "easy on the eyes" scale. The pit looks fine out of the box, but it's nothing fancy. I added a seat belt from the stash (old FW190 lap belt) and I wired the radio. I sprayed the interior AK Real Colors Mitsubishi Interior Green. Seems a bit too olive to me. Oh well.

The engine is fantastic. So is the cooling fan detail. Like the FW190, he engine will be hidden. What a shame. I painted it up anyways and gave it a Tamiya panel line wash.

I added Alclad Aluminum to the areas I as going to chip, namely the wingroots and cowl. Time for paint.

I then began my experimenttion. I sprayed hairspray down on the silver. Once dry, I added some liquid frisket on a sponge to some areas, mainly the wing roots and cowl. I then did my normal painting. After a black preshade, I used XF-19 Sky Grey on the underside then XF-11 JN Green on the upper side. Both were then reverse black based by lightening the colors to produce a tonal fading effect. These turkeys sat outside and i bet they oxidized quickly. The grey was cut with XF-2 white and the green with XF-57 Buff. Once done, the frisket was wiped off to reveal chipping. I like the effect. For other areas, I wet the paint which activated the hairspray underneath. I then chipped with a toothpick. The meatballs were then painted and so were the arrows (which were an exercise in patience, but better than trying to use Hasegawa decals this large). I suppose I could have documented this better, but here's how it turned out.

I recently discovered the LG bays should be Aotake. I'll fix that soon.

Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden 352nd NAG

Post by tempestjohnny »

Awesome. Really like these tutorials
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

WOW! Superb work!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

B-E-A-utiful barely describes your work. Thanks for sharing!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Gorgeous work!!! You did an outstanding job on this! That cockpit is simply outstanding. :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Lovely. The chipping of the paint is much better than anything I have achieved. If were to try to improve your result (only in my mind, not in fact!) I would try to get a less stark transition from the bare metal to the unworn paint, in my experience with airplanes and other machinery paint wears thin before it disappears entirely. That may not apply to Japanese late war aircraft entirely though, I've read that like the Martin B-26 there were adhesion problems due to no primer.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

tempestjohnny wrote:Awesome. Really like these tutorials
Thank you Johnny. I'm glad you get some use out of the info.
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Stuart wrote:WOW! Superb work!
Thanks Stuart
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

LyleW wrote:B-E-A-utiful barely describes your work. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Lyle
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Stikpusher wrote::wub: :wub: :wub:

Gorgeous work!!! You did an outstanding job on this! That cockpit is simply outstanding. :shoutout:
Thanks Stik

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”