Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Bish
Master Member

Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Post by Bish »

And my second build, 72nd Stuka no 8. My 4th Fujimi build and second of their D's. Made a start on the Stuka last weekend, this is the kit, i am doing the subject on the box art, S7+AA.

The instructions say it a D-1, but the photo's clearly show the thicker armoured pilots windscreen of a D-3.

I'm useing an Eduard PE set along with a few other AM parts. The Aires resin pit designed for the Academy kit will fit in this, as i found out when i built a D-5, but as i had the Eduard set anyway, figured i would use it. The PE set is missing some detail thats in the resin one, but i'll use some parts from the spares box to fill it out.

I got the PE parts fitted painted and dry brushed. Also drilled out the hole and fitted a quickboost resin compass.

I also got the wings together, cut out the molded landing light and fitted the guns. There are 2 options for the wing guns in the kit. One with exposed barrel tips for the D-1 and another with extended fairing and covered opening for the D-3. But photo's show that both variants could have either. I am guessing the covered fairings are to stop dirt getting in to the barrels on take off, and the covers do seem to be fited more often to aircraft in dusty enviroments, such as the desert. The photo's of the aircraft i am doing are not that clear, but it does look more like the covered option so thats what i fitted.

Got most of the major parts fitted to the Stuka including fitting a quickboost compass and getting the wings on once the fuselage was together. No major fit issues as i expected.

Then got the canopy on and all the sub assemblies ready. As you can see i am leaving the undercarrage off. I've also learnt my lesson when it comes to adding actuators and balances to soon, have had to scratch more of those than i care to remember, so i am painting them seperatly.

It got a primer coat followed by the undersides being painted, so will be able to mask off in a day or so.

And i saw on Scalemates that Special Hobby are re-boxing the lovely Academy G-2 into 2 seperate issues, a D-5 and a D-5N/D-8. Thats great news, hopfully they will do the same with the G-1 to produce a new D-1/D-3.

Now, if someone would just produce a C.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
LyleW
Admin

Re: Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Post by LyleW »

The interior looks really good. I admire your successful use of the PE. I still haven't gotten that far. She is coming along nicely.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: oh very nice so far! So this one will be in Afrika colors?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow, that built up quick! That's very cool.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks guys.

Lyle, i still struggle with it at times even though i have been useing it for years.

Carlos, yes, this aircraft was pictures at Siwa Oasis in late 1942. Though there is not to much desert paint on it judging from the photo's.

Mike, it does go together quite fast, not an awful lot to these kits but i do still like them.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

:hmm: Bish is doing a Stuka ........ :bow:
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

I knopw, shock horror :grin:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bish wrote: Carlos, yes, this aircraft was pictures at Siwa Oasis in late 1942. Though there is not to much desert paint on it judging from the photo's.
Possibly one of those combined schemes of the desert colors applied partially over the continental colors? I like those.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Oh nice. I love a good Stuka!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks John.

Carlos, ye, it is. But while some profiles some sand right along the fuselage, the phoro's only show it in 2 spots under the canopy, and it seems to be where the added external armour would be but has been removed. Not to sure about the wings, the instructions don't match what little can be seen in photo's, so i'm going to have to wing that one.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”